Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Navigator settings

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dancinDaveNY, Mar 15, 2006.

1. dancinDaveNY

dancinDaveNY

Sep 27, 2001
    Western NY
    I just got a new Navigator preamp. I'm running it with all knobs straight up at 12 o'clock. Is that flat? I'm wondering, please, do any of the Navigator users here on Talkbass have any cool settings? I like tight, clear highs and deep, punchy bass, not too middy(sort of Jamerson meets Entwistle). The EQ on this pre seems really 'touchy'. I know it's been said a lot that Navigators are great when they're run flat. hmmm, I'd rather mess around a little. Flat doesn't seem to be what I'm after...
    anybody?
    btw - my cabs are 210XLT(2) or 115XLT(2) and power is QSC PLX2402 with Modulus and MTD basses.
    Thanx in advance! :^) dD

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    All tone straight up is the way to go. Keep the enhance either off or at no more than the 9 o'clock position.

All tone knobs set at "flat" do NOT yield you a flat, toneless signal. The center points are simply predetermined as factory voicing. There is still tone there when everything is straight up (IMO, of course).

3. dancinDaveNY

dancinDaveNY

Sep 27, 2001
    Western NY
    Thanx for the reply Eric. The tone is 'okay' with all knobs at 12 o'clock but I'm looking for a little more of the tube action, a little more bottom and punch. With everything straight up it's kind of middy to me. IMO of course, but I don't want to start boosting lows and get distortion either. Ah, what the hey. I just gotta keep playing with it I guess. I have an older Metro combo and it sure sounds a lot different. I wonder why? It's almost the same set-up. hmmm
    :^) dD

4. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    +1

That exactly how mine is set. Works great for me.

5. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    Welcome to the club. So far I have found that my tone is best with everything set just about at twelve o'clock. I may subtract a little with the rediculously powerful eq. Also, as I increase in volume I tend to tweak the Enhance dial, but as most have stated, not past 9 o'clock.

6. dancinDaveNY

dancinDaveNY

Sep 27, 2001
    Western NY
    thanx for the welcome and I appreciate you guys taking the time to steer me towards good settings on this preamp. right now I had the enhance set at 12 o'clock also. I'll run that back to 8:30, 8:45 and see how that works. I do like the "scoop" effect of the enhance control. I know I have to be careful boosting the lows with 10" speakers tho'. maybe 9 o'clock is a good limit for that button.
    thanx!

7. dancinDaveNY

dancinDaveNY

Sep 27, 2001
    Western NY
    What D.I. are you guys running out of? I used the 'Recording D.I.' at my first gig with this pre and the soundman didn't complain. It seemed to work fine. Is that the best one to send to the FOH?
    Also I would like to run my Boss ME50B effects unit in one of the effect loops in the back. Which loop are any of yous using to run effects? I haven't tried any of them yet. I think there's about 3 loops to choose from back there. So far, I just run the effects in between my bass and the preamp. That works but I'd rather run them out of a loop.
    Thanx in advance.
    PS - I bought this Navigator without a manual. That's why I can't find the answers myself. Maybe if I could read the manual I wouldn't bother you guys so much.

8. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    hey what's up...i use the recording DI for live and recording, as well...i play a wenge necked mtd 535, so our rigs are similar...i boost the bass and mids just a hair and cut the highs (i leave the highs flat with my other basses...i just try to cut a little of that mtd 'zing' out)...i tend to favor the tube side, and i also like the enhance control...most people don't, but hey, that's just me...

9. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    oh yeah, i also use an aphex 104 in my side chain effects loops blended at about 75%...aphex rawks :D

10. dancinDaveNY

dancinDaveNY

Sep 27, 2001
    Western NY
    thanx nep! I appreciate all you guys giving me hints.
    I gigged last night but it was a real soft restaurant gig. Tonight's gig is full out, balls to the wall rock. I can open the amp up with two cabs tonight. Probably use 2 D210XLTs(don't need 15s with PA support) with the Nav and PLX2402. I'll try all these settings you guys suggested and report in tomorrow. See yas!

11. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Manual-get your manuals here:
    http://www.eden-electronics.com/info/manuals/pdf/WP100MANUAL2003.pdf

I love my nav. I tend to run the enhance "higher" than most, noon or higher. It does have the tube character knob, crank that up for more tube gain. I too tend to run pretty "flat," and just tweak little bits for either this bass or that bass, one cab or another, or room anomolies.

12. Vinpaul

Vinpaul

Aug 24, 2005
    Melbourne, Aus
    Im picking one of these bad boys up for myself in 2 weeks, pair it with a plx 2402 and my schroeder 410, cant wait. Then I just have to wait a bit to update my spector Q4 to a lakland jazz and Im be wrapped:)

13. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Vin: I run my Nav with a qsc/plx 1602 bridged mono into a Schroeder 410, it's very nice;)

Don't kid yourself: you're never done shopping for new gear.

14. Vinpaul

Vinpaul

Aug 24, 2005
    Melbourne, Aus
    hey chef. yeah Ive read u saying that set up works nicely, made my decision easier. Cant wait to get rid of my hartke 3500, I dig that some people find them great value, but the tone just doesnt please me no matter what, I play real aggressively and its annoying treble just sounds shocking.

Youre spot on bout always wanting new gear though, its this damn website Its turned me into a gear geek, who would have thought a year ago :ninja:

15. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    not to hijack a thread, but how much grit/distortion do you get out of the "tube" control? I just picked up a wt-550 and love it but would like a little more dirt. may move to the nav pre for that (rather than pedals etc).

16. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    How much grit?
    More than I like, but I'm a clean freak!
    I bought the Nav when I moved to primarily DB, as I found it clean, warm, and the powerful semi para eq was a big bonus with DB. Obviously(?) I don't use the tube control at all with DB, and very little with electric-just not my thing.
    I now use the Nav pretty much only for electric, as I find the Thunderfunk to be a better rig for me. The 4 (vs 3) band semi para eq + timbre control make it very easy to dial my DB into any particular room.

17. dancinDaveNY

dancinDaveNY

Sep 27, 2001
    Western NY
    Dudes,
    Are you guys diming your power amps? using bridge mode on 10? I'm using a PLX2402 and I have to turn it all the way up in order to get any output from this rig. That's a LOT of wattage in bridged mode. I'm running 4 ohms so it'll be the whole 2400 watts, right? My master is at 12 o'clock and the gain is from 9-11 o'clock. That seems awful hot. Are you guys running yours up that high? or is there something wrong with my output either from the power or the pre? What do yous think?
    Thanx in advance!

18. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    I run my qsc/plx 1602 dimed, but I don't have to turn up the Nav much, at all. 3 on the input, 5 on the master, at most.
    Go to eden and download, the manual, I think there's an internal jumper for output sensitivity...
    Or maybe I have it backwards and it's the qsc...at any rate, I've never messed with either of mine, in my case it seems to have worked out real well...

19. dancinDaveNY

dancinDaveNY

Sep 27, 2001
    Western NY
    I just ran across this thread again. I haven't seen it since 2006? I must have forgotten it because I finally brought my Nav into a tech I really respect. He immediately turned all the EQ flat and dimed the power amp. Then turned the Navigator pre up to about 1 o'clock and the master to about 10-11 o'clock. The thing sang like Entwistle, and now I pretty much use the Nav/QSC as my main rig. +1 it's nice and light too!

20. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    that sounds like the way to run it. the eq thread in the amps faq sticky should give you ideas unless you've allready figured out how you like to set it. great preamp. i want one and miss my 400, but i think ill just get a nav next time.