1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Navy 1, Satellite 0

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Spector_Ray, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Yup! They get to pick one of the stuffed animals from the top shelf. :)

2. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    Impressive...and they didn't even have to get two out of three or trade up!

3. I was expecting Satellite to make a 4th quarter comeback like Joe Montana.

Oh well... I guess I'm out money again.

4. Diggler

Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, please call your office.

5. Those Navy guys sure know their business.

;)

6. Illbay

Illbay

Jan 15, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Martian Invasion Warlord, please call your office.

7. mutedeity

mutedeity

Aug 27, 2007
    Sydney
    propaganda department 1, common sense 0

Anyone heard "The sky is falling and I want my mommy" by Jello Biafra and Nomeansno?

8. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Propaganda department, please call your office.

9. Lalabadie

Lalabadie Guest

Jan 11, 2007

I don't know, it reminds me of that.

What's up with the toxic fuel in it anyways? Ain't it the same as all those other satellites that ended up crashing in the ocean?

10. Um, I don't know anything about the toxic fuels beyond what the press release says, but you can bet your *** they don't care half as much about the fuel as they do about someone getting their hands on whatever technology they had in that satellite. The satellite was only a couple of years old, it would be a great find for someone.

11. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Probably unnecessary, but great fun nonetheless. A great opportunity to test a new defense system. Plus, we don't have to worry about killing any cows in Austrailia with our dying space junk.

Take that, space!

12. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN

According to news reports, the concern here was that this satellite failed right after launch, so it still had a full compliment of fuel on board. Most satellites that fall back to earth are much older and, apparently, empty.

Meh, who cares. We blew up something in space. We rock! ;)

13. If you have tracked the story from the beginning and look between the lines it is obvious that:

- The satallite was owned by the NRO - So it was a highly classified electronics platform.
    - They didn't know where it was going to land, but they knew that some of it would survive reintry. The wrong piece landing in the wrong spot in the world would be bad.
    - They shot at the fuel tank and implied that was what was dangerous, but they didn't use a war head. They just ruptured the tank and scattered the contents along with the fuel all over the place.

So what were they probably really going for? To break it up in small enough peices that it would burn up entirely during re-entry. Secrets are still safe.

Plus, China did this a while back and we needed to prove to everyone that we were just as good or better, which of course we are.

14. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

15. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Frankly, I suspect that this is the entire reason behind the whole entire exercise.

16. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    Yep, it was probably as much a political statement as it was anything else. Good thing we hit it after going public with the announcement.

I work with engineers and think the work they do is pretty impressive. But this kind of stuff is just amazing.

17. They missed the real target, they were really aiming at russia

18. dangnewt

dangnewt Veteran Dispenser

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston
    Nice job by the Navy and the company that made the missile - Massachusetts-based Raytheon. Props to the missile division based in Arizona, the folks who assembled the missile in Arkansas, and the suppliers of components from around the country.

19. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I'm damned proud to be an AEGIS platform sailor.

Hey Neptoon, can subs do that? :smug: