Navy blue shirt with light-colored buttons

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Eli M., Jan 17, 2005.

1. Eli M.

Eli M. Life's like a movie, write your own ending

Jul 24, 2004
    New York, NY
    I ordered a navy blue shirt, and it has very light colored buttons. I usually think a navy blue shirt should have darker buttons (my black shirt has black buttons) so I don't know whether I should keep it or return it. My mom says the buttons are too light for the shirt, and my roommate (who hasn't seen it but I described it to him) says that as long as I choose a good outfit the buttons won't make a difference. Here is a picture of the item in question.

In the catalog it didn't look too bad but in person they're really bright. What do you think? Should I keep it or return it?
  2. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i have a maroon shirt with white buttons, it's fine! you're OK :D

3. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Hmmm....we're tackling the big issues here today!

Well, IMO the buttons are okay, but I would return it because it appears to be a dark blue denim shirt - which, unless you are a cowboy, probably shouldn't be worn anyway!

HOwever if you like the shirt, I don't think the buttons are a problem. Note that they are the "accessory" on the shirt, so if you were thinking of wearing a broach of some sort - dont! :D
  4. Eli M.

Jul 24, 2004
    New York, NY
    It's actually not denim, I believe it's a chambray material. It's not a very good picture.
  5. I have a dark blue shirt with white buttons, and it's fine. Contrast is a good thing. I wear it with khakis or jeans (if the buttons were dark, it wouldn't look good with jeans imo). I don't wear it with slacks because I consider the shirt to be too casual looking. I also roll up the sleeves a lot of the time, which makes it look even more casual. Or, you could just be a man, and wear it with anything and not care, because no one expects men to wear matching clothes anyways.
  6. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Ah well its okay then :D

You are a skinny guy right? You should get fitted shirts and avoid button down collars on casual shirts. Anyway...enough of this :)
  7. Eli M.

Jul 24, 2004
    New York, NY
    Actually I usually wear buttondown collars because I have a thin neck and collars look huge on me. So I button them down, problem solved. Plus, making my clothes a little more formal balances with my facial hairiness (I only shave once a week, and I currently have what I wish I could call a beard :)).

8. Return it for the "salmon" colored one with black buttons. ;)
  9. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I know! Why don't you make a thread about it?!

brad cook
  10. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    You're looking for fashion advice from *this* crowd? Heh.

(BTW, IIRC chambray work shirts traditionally come with white buttons or white pearl snaps.)