1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NB (for modding) D

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Paulabass, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    To go with my funk'n'disco set, I decided to build a totally Bootsy approved bass.
    The platform for extensive mods- A Dean C-Zone bass in flourescent pink.
    Some of the parts have not yet arrived from Best Bass, but the bass itself arrived today. so I figured I'd give it a bit of an as-is test drive and review.
    The bass arrived double boxed. Kudos. Those triangular boxes that they come in are not shipping worthy. Came well packed with lots of bubble wrap.
    Unboxing- Holy dear Dog is this thing pink. There is no pinker.
    Pre flight inspection- fit and finish are outstanding. No sharp frets, although they will get a good polish. Ripple free finish. Every single part is tight. The bass is in tune, and some perfunctory intonation has been done. Pickups are set a little low. The nut (to be replaced) is better fit than most. Standard Chinese strings turned my fingers black in no time.
    One of my biggest peeves about cheap instruments is lack of factory set-up. I don't give a damn if a Fodera arrives needing some set-up. Basses built for the beginner market should come set-up! Beginners aren't going to know/bother with set-up, and a bad one can turn a new bass player right off the instrument. This bass truly did come 'ready to play'. Bravo guys at the Dean factory. Set-up isn't perfect, but a beginner can rock these right out of the box!
    Edit- Tips the scale right on 9 lbs.
    The sound- Chinese strings were rough, and nasty, but useable. The bass could use some shielding. Small cheapo pots work well, and the tone control sweep is very useable. Plugged it into an OK rig of an SVT Classic and two GK neo cabs. Very good, on par with higher end Squiers, and mid-point Ibanez. Far better all around sound than expected :)
    Gotoh knock-offs hold it in tune, factory intonation is close enough, and a well cut nut makes first position playing easy. I COULD go play this on stage tonight.
    Bottom line- One of the best (given it's $300 USD. price tag) out of the box players I've experienced. Of the sub $1K basses I own, it's the same quality as my MIM Mustang PJ, better QC than my Allen Woody Epi, and far and away better than my Brubacker Brute, all of which cost more than double.
    Dean gets a 9.5/10 on this, and WOW, is it PINK.

Let the mods begin- Coming- Gotoh minis, Tusq nut, Dimarzio model P, Hipshot kickass bridge, straplocks, quality pots and cap, complete shielding, and a purple zebra stripe pickguard (a nod to hair-metal).

DSC_0001 (18).

2. groove pump

groove pump

Oct 24, 2006
    Purple zebra stripe pickguard = nothin' but SEXY!!

...Weee Sah-LOOT You!!!...

3. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

I have GAS for one of those, or a lime green one. Nothing I do warrants either one, but a pink or lime green pointy bass with neon DR strings just makes me smile. A zebra stripe pickguard would make it even better. They are so awful looking they are beautiful. I really need one. My wife would change the locks on the door if I had one. Guess I'll buy one to keep at work. That's it!

4. saabfender

saabfender Banned

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I like the ambivalence of the pink. It could be hellish pink or girly pink.

5. Wow!
    When they said pink, they weren't kidding!

Neon strings?

6. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    ^ of course! Pink DR's.

7. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    Just got a call- Private Christmas party 2 sets of funk'n'disco. This girl will be ready to party. Good karma.