1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBA Basketball

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Adam Barkley, Dec 8, 2006.

1. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Having watched most of the televised games this year, I'm disgusted by the "football" most teams are trying to call "basketball."

This is seriously what I see on 90% of all drives in the paint: Observe defense, bowl over defense, travel and or carry the ball, make the easy basket, and get the and one.

Early opinions:

Mavs - they are looking good, but I think the current Jazz would beat them in a best of 7
    Suns - I hated their game last year and it's just gotten worse. The definition of "no D."
    Jazz - seem to be the best playing team as of now
    Heat - not bad considering they have no Shaq or White Chocolate
    Pistons - they might actually be better without Ben Wallace
    Spurs - look good like last year
    Rockets - they'll sink as soon as Yao and McGrady are out again

Yep.

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

Here are my assessments to this point.

Mavs - Offense is pretty consistent, but the defense is not. They are going to have to tighten it up if they want to make a serious run this year.
    Suns - I agree with you 100%. No D! Nash is fun to watch for a few minutes, but even he gets old after a little while.
    Jazz - Playing really well. Let's see how they are doing in late January.
    Heat - Keeping it together considering the injuries. Should be very solid once they are healthy. Maybe a repeat?
    Pistons - They ARE better without Big Ben. Hard to believe.
    Spurs - I thought that age would start catching up in some key positions, but they look pretty good.
    Rockets - Not as good as they are playing right now. And not as much depth as the other top Western Conference teams.

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I heard Iverson wants to be traded.

-Mike

4. Yep, sounds good actually.
    I'm curious to see how it will evolve through time, it is too early for me to have opinions about what I see.

But anyway, my Spurs are looking good, the Suns might start D a bit if they want to survive Playoffs.
    Jazz are doing good, how long will it last?
    Mavs are good too, as last year, Lakers are doing good, pretty surprising, but KB is too much on the spotlight, even if other players are watching him playing less.....

Heat?? What is goin' on??
    Magic, good to see G.Hill back, great player, gret team, they deserve it!
    Pistons, geting better, they might get stronger through the coming year.
    Chicago? I supposed they would be good....

Vince

5. I don't get to see many of the games because they don't broadcast them here, but I'm backing the Suns again. I know everyone is complaining about their lack of D, but they are still winning games.

6. I agree with you, it is good for regular season, but you need a bit of D to win during playoffs, at least that is my view!

7. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    No Shaq, No Williams, No Payton. A starting five of Haslem, Mourning, Kapono, Wright, and Wade. They'll get it going in time to make the playoffs.

8. clavefa

clavefa Te Traigo El Tumbao

Ok, The Bulls showing signs of life 7 in a row after the Wallce headband flap. They still need to trade for a consiistent scorer
    Iverson maybe?

9. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I can't find much hear to disagree with, My added sometimes intelligent comments:
    Mavs: Don't seem to have the intensity of last year
    Suns: Will be eliminated before the conference finals you have to at least "act like" you play defense!
    Jazz: Will be in the hunt IF they get another big body and Carlos Boozer continues his "all world" play. TWO BIG IFS!
    Heat: Loss of White Chocolate is addition by subtraction. He would be the perfect back up for Steve Nash (no let up in lack of defensive intensity). Part of me thinks they should repeat, especially considering Duane Wades anointing by Mike Stern, but I have never seen a less worthy champion. This team plays hard barely half the time and goes into most games with the attitude that they can "turn the switch" when they need too. Also they will not go anywhere without the big guy in the middle (who is getting old)
    Spurs: Will win it all if they stay healthy. They are the only team that plays team basketball AND has a superstar who can get calls down the stretch.
    Rockets: I thought they swindled us signing Bonzi Wells, Bonzi's laughing all the way to the bank. Yao still doesn't do enough little things to win big games.
    My beloved Pistons. I must admit I'm surprised so far. Flip still plays the starters too much although the bench seems a little longer. Rasheed is finally beginning to show some consistency, They are the best in the East right now but it's WAY early.
    Bulls: I love Ben Wallace's style of play, but this team reminds me too much of a poor mans Pistons. Great defensive intensity (helps get extra wins in reg. season when most teams don't work of D) great teamwork, scores by committee. They just don't seem to have the go-to guy to get it done in the clutch in the playoffs. The Pistons will go further in the playoffs but the Bulls may win out in the regular season. Unfortunately they'll fall when Duane Wade gets EVERY call in the playoffs. In todays NBA you need a star to get Sterns anointing to win.

10. Yao dominated the Wizards last night...his shot late in the 4th quarter was a real treat to watch.

I <3 my rockets.

11. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Yep, so do I my friend. Did you catch the Lakers game tonight? What a great game, even though Houston lost. It was cool seeing Phil pull Kobe back off the bench to come in and make sure they didn't lose.

Bad news...bad news. McGrady sat out with back spasms. They are saying he is out "indefinitely". :(

-Mike

12. You guys root for the wrong teams.

GO CAVS - we have LeBron.

13. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Yeah, but what else? Hughes has missed an average of 25 games a season, your big men are soft. I really don't think the Cavs have improved any from last year. Lebron is probably the second best one on one player in the league to Duane Wade, and a better passer then Wade. This helps in the playoffs, he's one on the anointed ones he'll get a great whistle. But Cleveland still plays like a poorly coached team to me, poor defensive rotation, sloppy switches on pick and roles, and way to much isolation on offense. At the end of games I still see the rest of the team standing around waiting for Lebron to do something. Maybe Larry Brown could help, if they could put up with his ego?

14. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Great observations on the Cavs burk. You're right on with LeBron being one of the guys who "gets the calls".

I still think Stern can get the Cavs into the Finals. :D

-Mike

15. not too worried. i think the cavs will make it to the conference championship this year.

16. Man, I used to be a HUGE Jazz fan back in the day with Karl, Stockton, and Hornecek... The team disintegrated so fast, I kinda fell away from watching.

This year, I haven't even seen a full game. :(

That being said, I'm thrilled that Utah has the team they have this year. Good for Jerry Sloan! It's sparked my interest and I plan and getting back into the NBA swing.

17. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Yep, the best football player in the NBA. They are already getting his bust ready for Canton.

18. Unfortunately I did. Even though we lost, Luther Head had some real moments to shine though...that guy is gonna be a great player someday.

Let's hope McGrady will be healthy again soon. :(

19. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    OK....I thought the NBA was going into serious overkill mode when they started shoving LeBron James down my throat all the time. Now, it's Iverson. :rollno:

There is no way you can convince me David Stern is not behind dragging this out for as long as possible to keep the NBA at the top of Sportscenter and other sports outlets.

Enough already!!! Trade the guy and forget about it.

-Mike

20. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I just got home from the Sonics and Jazz game at the Key Arena.

WOW! What a game. Ray Allen was on fire. He ended up with 54 points. He nailed a three with eight seconds left to send it into OT. Easily the best Sonic game so far this year. The excitement in the arena reminded me of the early 90's with Gary and Shawn.

-Mike