Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

NBA PLAYOFFS!!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Davehenning, May 6, 2004.

1. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Ok, since there is an good NHL playoff thread, I thought we needed an NBA thread.

Who is gonna take it this year?

My beloved Knicks were swept out, so I am rooting for the Timberwolves even though I think Sacramento is going to win.....

The Laker-Spurs series is heating up..... last night's game was really good.

Thoughts?

2. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I agree with you about the Spurs. They looked pretty amazing against the Lakers over the last two games. Parker has really stepped up his game a few notches.

3. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I have been a big Bibby fan since his days in Vancouver. He has taken CWebb's place as the heart and soul of the Kings.

Bummer about the Sixers. I really like Iverson. I doubt he is still going to be there much longer.

Detroit looks really good too. I don't think they will go all the way, but they certainly seem to have most of the right ingrediants to eventually be a championship team.

4. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Clyde was one in a million.

Drexler is a class act and was an absolute horror to have to defend against. (I used to love the "aw' S**T looks on player's faces when they saw that they were matched against him :)

Iverson is one of my favs because he ALWAYS shows up to play. He plays with serious heart.

CWebb's "time out" has to rank right up there with Bruckner's world series Error and Bobby Knight's chair throwing.

Larry Brown is a great coach! I was hoping the Knicks would scoop him up but I can't complain about who is running the show now. Though the owners are a whole different story..... :mad:

5. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Any more NBA fans at TB?

6. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles

I remember reading that thread a little while back. Robinson was without question one of the best class acts to have ever played the game. I was concerned that the Spurs were not going to be as competitive without him, but they seemed to filled that gigantic loss nicely. It was a real hoot seeing him in the San Antonio crowd last night on TV. He looked like he was actually enjoying being a spectator.......still, the league is not the same with out him. Whenever people used to complain about some of the knuckleheads in the league, I would always point out Robinson as an example of all that was right with the league...... as well as all that was right off the court.

I am really liking Manu Ginobli's game at San Antonio. He seems to be a real talent in the making. Who ever is doing the scouting for the Spurs has really done a great job.......

Sam Casell has been playing really well too. He dropped 40 on Sacramento the other night. He is such a motor-mouth, I would love the league to put a mic on him for a game..... :D

7. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    The Knick's passed on Parker? Typical.... :meh: I am not too worried because Marbury seems to be working out nicely. Nice to have Brooklyn kid back at the Garden again. Plus, Stephon having two of the greatest point guards in the history of the game as his mentors can't hurt.
    :cool:

Cassel was great with the Rockets. He just lights people up....makes 'em look really stupid.....and I absolutely love it! And then he will tell them he just made them look stupid!!!!

And if that is not enough!>>>then he tells the other team's bench that he just made them look stupid!! :D he kills me! :D

8. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Go Pistons! The Detroit Indi series will be a brawl.

9. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Yeah! there is a third person who likes the NBA! :hyper:

I like the Pistons too. Ben Wallace is the MAN! He plays the game the way it is supposed to be played...fearless and tough!

They should just give out boxing gloves if there is a Indiana Detroit series.... I can't wait!

10. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Wow. Jersey looked stellar in the first half last night....only to get whooped in the end. Looks like Jersey might going fishing for the summer.

11. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Guess that makes me number 4. Now that the Red Wings have....... :bawl:

Oh well, I'm a full time Piston fan now.

I like the Pistons chances since they picked up Rasheed Wallace. It loosens things up in the middle for Ben Wallace. If Chauncey Billups, Rip Hamilton, and Tayshaun Prince are all firing on all cylinders (pun intended) a Detroit / Indianapolis series could be for all the marbles.

Peace,

James

12. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

count me in guys !!!

i've been a Spurs fan since the days of Gervin and the old ABA Spurs with the red , white and blue basketball ...

i know everyone really likes their regional teams , but these guys seem to play with spirit and intensity every game . i do miss the old teamates of Robinson , Mario Ellie and Avery Johnson ...

Duncan has been making some really funny commercials {for a local food store} and his deadpan humor is infectious :D

i guess i'm gonna have to stick with the Spurs , all the way to another championship !!! :cool:

13. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    More NBA people! Woo Hoo!

Mal,

Sorry 'bout the Wings. I thought they had a good shot this year.....

Despite NJ's current position, the Detroit/Nets series has been better than I expected. Ben Wallace is one tough customer. He is kinda like a combination of Bill Lambeer's toughness and Dennis Rodman's rebounding ability. (of course minus Rodman's insane factor and Lambeer's mean streak) :D Wallace, true to form got a technical last night.... anger management time!

I am looking foward to the rest of the Spurs/Lakers series. So far, it has been a lot of fun watching that. For some reason, I just love watching the Lakers get their heads handed back to them. That being said, I would love to see Payton get a ring. If anyone deserves a ring, it's the Glove.

I do have a soft spot for the Timberwolves though. I am a long time Sprewell fan, KG makes the game fun again and Sczerbiak is from my neighborhood. I don't see them making it past the Kings though. :(
    I used to love going to Knicks games just to see who Spree was gonna light up that night...... :D

14. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I think I have to agree with you on that one..... The Spurs are just too good. I do miss the old gang alot, but the new guys seem to be doing just fine :cool:

15. Kinda sad the rockets are out, but I knew they wouldn't get to far anyway. Pretty good for Jeff Van Gundy's first season at least.

That said....go Spurs!

16. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles

The Rockets have a really strong group of core guys to build around though.... Yao is a superstar in the making and Stevie Franchise is a bad-ass!

As a life-time Knick fan, I knew you guys were getting quality folk when Van Gundy and Ewing showed up down there.

17. Yes! Go Spurs. I've been a fan since the Iceman days, too. I love the current team. They play such great, fundamental basketball, and they play the best defense of any team in the West.

18. Why is Ewing at all the games anyways? My guess is he wants to be a coach one day too. Can't blame the guy...he never got a ring, might as well try to lead others to get one.

19. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Ewing was brought in by Van Gundy to assist in coaching, but to mainly work with Yao on his game. Ewing certainly knows a thing or two about being the "big fella" and all that comes with that position. Who better than Ewing to help mentor Yao in the NBA style? Maybe Hakeem, but Ewing seems to have a coaching career in his future.

Speaking of the Van Gundy's, too bad for Miami. They were throughly trashed by the Hoosiers.

20. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Man! The Kings/Timberwolves game was dramatic!

I thought for sure they were gonna lose when they were down by 10 in the 4th! Sprewell has got to be one of the best defensive players in the league. He really shut down Bibby tonight. Casell and KG also brought some very serious game....despite the foul calls seeming to go in the Kings's direction.