1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBA Playoffs !!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Papersen, Apr 18, 2006.

1. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Well, tomorrow is ending the regular season. Pistons and Spurs finished in 1st place in their Conferences. Now, the real deal is about to begin.

I predict the same finalists (DET-SAS). However, Detroit is in better shape right now, but we´ll see what happens ....

2. rummy

rummy

Apr 17, 2006
    Lombard, IL
    Of course, I'm gonig to say the Bulls.

What's up with your boy Nocioni? He's been a monster lately!!!

3. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I think Detroit's lack of a bench will hurt them. The half of the Spurs are still injured, they will lose first round.

If Alonzo Morning can get healthy, the Heat can take the Pistons.

4. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    The Pistons Bench isn't as bad as everything assumes.

The only way the Heat could take the Pistons in a 7 game series is if they get lucky.

5. ahaTFJ

ahaTFJ Guest

Apr 2, 2006
    Chicago
    I'm from Detroit (moved away last year), so I'm hoping for the Pistons to win.

6. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Their bench really sealed the deal against the Bucks.

We'll see.

7. im a sixers fan but they wont win ive just gotten used to it

8. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    I don´t believe Bulls will pass first round. Maybe if they can avoid Detroit or Miami. Nocioni is playing the way he used to do it in Europe. He´s basically a player with lots of attitude (sometimes too much) and guts.

9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    As a Rockets fan, my season will be over Wednesday night. I used to be a big fan of the NBA, but now it only catches my attention now and then.

-Mike

10. Aye, it will be strange not seeing them in playoffs. But I remain positive for next season though.

11. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    My team has been out for about 5 years now hehe Since Sonics traded Payton they were done.

Payton is my favorite player of all time and sonics are done... so... go heat.

As long as pistons don’t have Grant Hill anymore I don’t mind them winning. I am guessing 5 years is enough to recover from having Hill on your team so they are of my sh*tlist. Three players I could never stand were Grand Hill Carl Mallon and Reggie Miller. Grand Hill was lesser of the 3 evils though.

12. Brad Barker

Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    karl malone was a lamer, but i don't know why you would hate on hill or miller. maybe i'm missing something on hill, but miller is a good guy. or do you just mean you don't like watching them play--a "sports hatred," if you will?

13. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    With Hill I for some reason never liked his style of playing, I don't know why, I didn’t hate Hill but I didn’t like watching him play for some reason either. Maybe I thought he whined too much. That was main reason for me to somewhat slowing down on watching NBA, too much whining over nothing and too many calls slow down the game too much. :)

Mallon and Miller I hated... They whined a lot but what’s worse they would cheap shot people all the time and then whined about it. Mallon especially with his elbows, how you going to complain to ref after you knocked some guy out with elbow and didn’t get called for it I would never know. I am all for physical playing but not dirty.

back to the point... go heat:) Payton needs a ring...

14. Brad Barker

Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    yeah, i'm pulling for the heat, too, but i'm not paying very much attention.

i'm rather satisfied with the outcome of the ncaa tournament. :smug:

15. I agree w/ Malone and Miller. Miller gets the "good guy" rep because he is (media coverage wise) a good guy off the court. We can't say a thing about them w/out really knowing them, but that's his perception. However, yeah, they both threw elbows and complained ALL the time. Anyway, I probably derailed this too much already.

I'm taking Pistons/Mavs. I don't know that that will happen, but who knows.

By the way, the Sonics have been in the playoffs, and even advanced, well within 5 years. They need to move Allen out and get a big guy and do a re-build around Rashard and Luke. They're my team too. :D

16. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    hehe, actually I think I’ve only seen 2-3 NBA games this year but I have been watching NCAA a bit, NCAA IMO much better, and of course hockey owns it all, but that was not even a question. :)

I think I’ll pay a bit more attention for NBA playoffs thought but not so much as NHL playoffs are on right now too. Isn't it weird that they would not shift it a bit so they wouldn’t have to compete for it?

Yeah but they still had no chance even when they got in playoffs:) You are right, they worked so much better when they had guard who would pass more instead of score. I think i will watch them tonight though, if they show it. :)

BTW they are thinking of selling sonics:\

17. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    THE FINISH IN ORDER OF FINAL POSITION:

1) The Pistons, Will win IF they stay healthy. The last month pick up of Tony Delk and Mcyses playing the best he played since he came into the league gives them the second best bench in the playoffs (Dallas is #1). Delk has ben giving them a steady 10-15 points since they signed him. Also Brown didn't play the bench enough last year. The Pistons starters are averaging 3-5 minutes a game less then last year. This will be NOT be a tired team in the finals.

2) The Spurs, Do not have the same intensity that they had last year and both Ginobli and Duncan appear to be playing hurt. Duncan is slower ecspecially on the defensive end and Ginobli doesn't seem as explosive. Unless Finley and Van Excel discover the fountain of youth the second best team in the playoffs, may get upset in the second round. The only reason why I'm not betting against them (to get to the finals) is the rest of the west teams have some serious structural flaws.

3) The Mavericks, They might come out of the west. Only because the Spurs seem so uninspired. Their problem is they play good "team defense" but have a lot of mediocre individual defenders. Those matchup problems tend to get exposed by good coaching in the playoffs.

4) The Heat, If Mourning doesn't comeback they may not get past the Nets. They were 2-12 against the Mavs, Pistons, Spurs and Nets in the regular season! They are not as solid as last years team. Payton and Williams can't guard anybody, Wade is mediocre on defense, Posey is good when healthy (bad hammy) Haslem is OK And Shaq turns about as quick to the ball as a battleship turns. They are maybe the worst outside shooting and three point team in the league and don't defend the three well. Does anyone think they can guard against a good pick and roll? And Antoine Walker, as a Pistons fan I WANT this 6'9" Power? forward hurling 3 ball air balls when the games on the line. Not a formular for playoff success.

5) The Nets, If they had even a marginally servicible bench I 'd pick them over the heat. Cllif Robinson (a good young player with a weed problem durring the Bad Boys era:D ) and Jacque Vaughn are their key players off the bench? They are a good defensive team except at center but they tend to go into isolation offense in the crunch time, not a good thing against good coaching.

The rest are Pretenders! For God's sake the bottom four teams in the east all had losing records!

18. bassthumpa

bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Indeed. Wade won't have a moster game every night.

GO PISTONS!!

19. bassthumpa

bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    There are very few players that I root against them ever winning a championship... Payton is one of them. Malone was another... so when those two tried to gravy-train their way to a ring by joining the Lakers bandwagon, it made it that much sweeter to watch the Pistons pick them apart.

20. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    What are you guys talking about? The Sonics won their division last season, and they took the Spurs to six games in the playoffs, almost seven.

The departure of Gary Payton was perfect timing. You don't often see a team move an aging superstar at the right time like the Sonics did. Getting Ray Allen in return for an out of gas Gary Payton had to rank up there with the best trade in the history of the NBA.

As far as moving Ray Allen? Are you serious? What big man do you think they can get if the get rid of the best pure shooter in the NBA in Ray Allen? Getting rid of Ray Allen would be a huge mistake. The continued development of Wilcox, Petro, and Swift will vastly improve the Sonics front line next season. There's only a few dominant big men in the league, so it isn't like you can just go get one.

-Mike