1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBA Playoffs

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by ChiliPepper, Apr 17, 2010.

1. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Most of the matchups have been great so far, specially in the West.

Orlando and Cleveland are obviously emerging as the candidates in the East, but the West is really tight.

2. bwv1013

bwv1013

Mar 20, 2008
    southern cal
    the west is definitely surprising me this year, very close matchups and some upsets on the way, at least in terms of seeding. i'm actually enjoying watching other teams duke it out this year.

3. + 1 The east has been pretty much what most people expected, maybe with the exception of the Bucks Hawks series. The Thunder have been very impressive but i still think the Lakers will beat them.

4. bwv1013

bwv1013

Mar 20, 2008
    southern cal
    i agree and hope so, kudos to the Thunder for playing like they want it. Good wake up call for the Lakers.

5. bottomzone

bottomzone

Oct 21, 2005
    +10. The Lakers showed what can happen when they are playing with intensity for an entire game. As far as the Thunder is concerned, in a few years, they will be a very difficult team to beat and could end up in the finals!

A Groove is a Terrible Thing to Waste! :cool:

6. indeed, i'd say in two years or so. I think their "oldest player" is 26 :eek:

7. bwv1013

bwv1013

Mar 20, 2008
    southern cal
    The Thunder could "arrive" as soon as next year IMO. If they get a decent big man, lookout...

8. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    Go Jazz!

Oh wait...

9. beatlesfan64

beatlesfan64

Apr 11, 2010
    sorry to see this so late, I am huge Celtics fan (and for the record, have been since for a looong time...sat thru 15 and 24 win seasons...)

I think the C's are going to have a very tough matchup with LeBron, but I do think that the Celtics are much better made for playoffs than most teams. They benefit strongly from the rest (their age) and they have great experience (which pays off in the playoffs) as well as a lot of depth to choose from. The Celtics have been playing a lot more like the team that had the best record at Christmas time, and I do think that they have a very good chance of going all the way this year.

If Ray Ray keeps knocking down those threes it is all ours!!!

10. beatlesfan64

beatlesfan64

Apr 11, 2010
    Mike Bibby :rollno:

11. acid bass

acid bass Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2010
    What, you don't like the Wildcats?:p

12. I have a question: are there any American sports where the team at the top of the league at the end of the season is the winner, and there's no playoff type thing?

From a English football fan perspective it seems really odd, although I quite liked it at the recent IPL cricket because it meant all the teams had something to aim for with a few games left despite Mumbai Indians being top the entire tournament. On the other hand, it leads to situations where teams can be top of the league for the whole season and yet not win the title based on a single game, which is just crazy.

13. Not really. Even our soccer league has a playoff system. Some racing leagues (NASCAR and NHRA) used to not have a playoff system, but even they eventually adopted one.

Honestly I don't know how European leagues go without a playoff system. Makes things much more exciting, IMO. You take the best teams who are playing at their best at the end of the year and in the end they go at it.

14. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    NCAA Football. *Facepalm*
    It's a joke.

Let's go Lakers! Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap!

:D

15. The playoff system is used for Basketball, Football and Baseball and other sports in Europe as well. As far as i know, there are even some soccer leagues that use the playoff system.

16. Deep breaths, deep breaths. They're still up, and game #6 IN Utah! ;)

17. Because we value the idea that the most consistent team over a 36 - 40 game season is the one that takes the title. It seems perverse that a team that finishes, for example, 8th out of 20 can end up being the champions. I think the playoff system only really works for leagues with fewer teams.

The lower football leagues use playoffs to decide promotion, but it works differently. The top two teams at the end of the regular season get promoted automatically and then positions 3 - 6 play off for the final promotion spot.

18. bottomzone

bottomzone

Oct 21, 2005
    I've been a Laker fan since forever and I would really like to see another Lakers-Celtics Finals-with the Lakers winning of course! :D Charles Barkley thinks that Cleveland will easily beat Boston in their upcoming series. I totally disagree!!!!!! As a matter of fact, I would not be surprised if Boston beats Cleveland! I'm sure that the media would love to see a Lakers-Cavs Finals. It is not going to be easy for either team to get there this year!

A Groove is a Terrible Thing to Waste! :cool:

19. beatlesfan64

beatlesfan64

Apr 11, 2010
    Most of the Celtics fans I know are more worried about Orlando (if we get there)

Boston is back baby! 38-18 with their starting 5 intact, the same 5 that had the best record at Christmas time...no way anyone can deny that they got hit hard with injuries this year, and they are healthy at the right time...

KG looked DAMN good in his last game, draining 18 footers like he was on automatic, a great sign for us...he hasn't looked this good all season IMO

I would LOVE to see a Celtics/Lakers final, and I bet many others would too...

As for Cleveland, LeBron could be hurt, but I doubt it...the Celtics, in my opinion, have a much better team, but Cleveland has the best player in the game, and he is that much better than everyone else...so, it could be interesting...

Perk vs Shaq will be nice to watch!

20. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Woot!! Gasol. Clutch rebound with an elbow to the face. That was WAY too hard for Lakers.