1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBAAD! (new bass and amp day): Musicman Caprice & Phil Jones Double Four

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fourstringdrums, Dec 4, 2017.

1. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    So last year I decided to stop playing and I sold everything. I decided to get back into it so I bought some new toys. I'm just a home player, but with discriminating taste lol

For Christmas I got myself a Musicman Caprice and a Phil Jones Double Four.

The Caprice is amazing. I installed labella low tension flats on it and between both pickups I can get any tone that I'm looking for. It's warm, but full and punchy. The fit and finish of course is impeccable. I was a little concerned that I'd hate the neck, as I'm used to playing at least 1.625" widths and 11"+ radius, but I find the 1.5" width and 7.5" radius to be extremely comfortable.

The amp I decided on was a Phil Jones Double Four. Since I'm just a home player I didn't want something that took up a lot of space but still sounded full. The Double Four definitely achieves that. I wasn't impressed at first with everything set flat, but as soon as I set the bass to about 2:30, it came alive. I'm amazed at how much volume and punch comes from this amp.

20171204_161827. 24231768_10212343300875316_1118547243923942738_n. caprice1.PNG caprice2.PNG caprice3.PNG caprice4.PNG caprice5.PNG

2. Skeptismo

Skeptismo

Sep 5, 2011
    Washington
    What a beauty!

lowdownthump and fourstringdrums like this.
  3. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Nice bass!! I really enjoy my Caprice. Best bass I’ve ever bought . The necks and fit and finish are top shelf. The tone and versatility is amazing. Great basses worth every penny . MusicMan really hit a home run with the Caprice and Cutlass imho.
    Who knew they could make such great passive basses!!

fourstringdrums likes this.
  4. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Me too and anyone who knows me and has paid attention over the last 14 years or so knows I've owned a TON of basses lol

I've been saying for years that if Musicman made a P bass, I'd be all over it. I have always loved how they play and how they feel. Finally they went and did it.

lowdownthump likes this.