1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBAD: Kustom KB200H - Pictures & Review

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by phatbassplayer, Oct 4, 2010.

1. phatbassplayer

phatbassplayer

Apr 7, 2009
    Illinois
    Got the new Kustom KB200 Head in today! Purchased from www.wwbw.com for $219 + $18 taxes.

ok so I got it delivered, was boxed in a very thick cardboard box with foam blocks at all corners of the head.. manual & warranty card included.

Unboxed it had that familiar wood and glue smell..

Nicely covered cabinet in the standard leather like covering, has very nice heavy chrome plated corners with a black grill front surrounded by silver piping.

Head control have the classic knobs and is laid out in a clean no nonsense fashion, just the way I like it.

Came with an 8 foot power cord! that is nice.. every amp I've ever had the past 20 years barely had 4 feet of power cord..

Clean rear panel has (2) speaker outs (4 ohm min) send / return, Balanced XLR out with volume control, and a fround lift switch.

Took the head apart and noticed a large toroidal transformer, mated to a preamp board and power amp board that is heavily finned to keep it cool.. also has a large fan just centimeters from the heatsink.. I'll imagine she will run very very cool.

Everything has the ROHS seal so.. I looked it up and ROHS stands for Restriction of Hazardous Substances - so I guess that the amp is made with materials that are deemed chemical and bio hazardous free..?

Everything, all solder joints, wiring.. all looked very professional and well done..

OK so now is the test.. I hook the head up to my old peavey 2x15 PA sub cabinet from 1982.. I just recently acquired this cabinet for $40 on craiglist in Saint Louis here.. Drivers were shot and horn no longer worked so I removed the horn and sealed that section off.. replaced the drivers with Eminence commonwealth 15's.. The bass Kustom head mated to the 2x15 cabinet fires up, no thumps, no noise.. fan is running but very quiet.. I set all controls to middle including gain and volume.. I turn the volume up on my bass.. and wow.. this head is pushing the 2x15 cabinet nice already..

Turned the gain up to about 6 and 7.. found a sweet spot on 7.. messed with EQ.. found slap tones.. found rock tones.. found R&B tones.. This little 200 watt amp can pretty much do all you'll need it to do..

If you turn the volume up and use your gain as the main volume you have clean tones forever.. put the gain to 6-7 and volume as high as you want.. get very sweet growl but not distorted, just a nice sweet growl.. turn the gain all the way up and use volume as a volume and you can get a slight distorted tone.. not too bad.. when I did this.. i noticed the clip light would come on.. I contacted a buddy of mine that goes to the namm show all the time ( he has connections ) He looked into it and called me back and said that it was normal and I have nothing to worry about.. clipping light just lets you know that you are venturing out the cleanest tone into a distorted tone..

here is some pics.. I'll keep you all updated if anything else arises but.. can a person actually fall in love with amp? maybe.. I sure like this one.

s5ek42.jpg
    iop4lw.gif
    6p3g1t.gif
    166abnk.jpg
    m9wr4x.jpg
    dh5tgg.gif
    2h5l85u.jpg
    o9g12b.jpg
    30078mo.gif
    244s6is.jpg
    2prspw6.jpg
    sxetyt.jpg
    s6m1bq.jpg
    2wbt9is.jpg
    6tlowp.gif
    i29dfk.gif
    28tz3i1.jpg
    wafuxv.jpg
    14lllea.jpg
    zu3y2q.jpg
    ix8imb.gif

2. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    I like it!

It just needs some tuck and roll covering...

3. DRafalske

DRafalske

Nov 6, 2008
    Hebron, KY
    "Kustom Amplificaton / Hebron, KY"

Interesting. I had no idea they were in my backyard. Have to check that out. Nice looking amp by the way. I have a KPB200/15"SRO combo I bought in 1994, still going strong!

D

4. phatbassplayer

phatbassplayer

Apr 7, 2009
    Illinois
    I've only had it for about 24hrs.. but I've played it for about 3 hours already and the sound is tight and solid, not flabby or farty.. the active EQ is nice, it actually boosts and cuts.. its ran cool for entire 3 hrs last night.. playing to a PA not an actual band.. but I was going to bring it to rehearsal this weekend.. the response is sweet.. can do old school bass tones and tweeking can get you hi-fi new bass bass tones as well.

I also tried out the MP3 in jack and headphone out jack simultaneously.. that is a feature that should be on all amps really.. my peavey 2x15 with eminence commonwealth 15's in it weighs about 130lbs.. and is a bitch to bring up and down the steps of my basement.. so that feature alone will allow me to leave that big ass cabinet at rehearsal and bring the head home.. hook it up to the PC via 1/8" stereo to stereo cable and jam along to youtube, MP3's, Guitar Pro 6.. everything.. and I am so far.. jast happy as hell with this purchase.. the real test though will be long term in gigging situations and rehearsals.. but it does come with a 3 year transferable warranty against defects so if it burns up or starts to fizzle out.. i'm at least covered the next 3 years.. I take care of eveything I own no matter the price, so if it goes out it wont be any fault of my own..

5. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    SOUND CLIPS!

6. Alex1984

Alex1984

Jan 16, 2010
    Vancouver
    Congratz! Papa's got a brand new BAD!

7. IngerAlb

IngerAlb

May 11, 2007
    I asked this in the Kustom Club topic also, but I might as well do it here since it's more to the point :) So...any idea whether this amp (namely the rack version) is actually the same old Kustom Deep End DE 200 head (http://www.kustom.com/product_detail...&ProductID=126) with just a different look, or not? The EQ looks identical and overall these 2 amps seem pretty similar. Any idea if these 2 sound different?

I already have the DE200 and I was considering the KXB, but there's no point in having 2 identical amps...

8. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Sanyo STK404-140 handling output duty.

Interesting.

9. claude81

claude81

Jul 1, 2012
    Hi, anyone has tried this head and the gk mb200?, i'm dealing with it right now and don't have the chance to try them before because in my country they are imported on demand So, any comments?Hi, anyone has tried this head and the gk mb200?, i'm dealing with it right now and don't have the chance to try them before because in my country they are imported on demand So, any comments?

10. DerTeufel

DerTeufel

Nov 11, 2011
    Wildomar, CA

I own the rack mount version of this head and have tried the MB200. I actually prefer the Kustom head over the MB200. I thought the MB200 sounded like the mids were scooped with the EQ set flat. The thing that I like about the most about the Kustom head is that it doesn't color your tone.

11. 5port

5port

Oct 14, 2009
    LI,new yawk
    I've yet to use any bass head with the EQ set flat...including my MB200. Life is just too short.:eyebrow:

12. DerTeufel

DerTeufel

Nov 11, 2011
    Wildomar, CA
    I don't either, whether it be the Kustom head that I own, or the Ampeg SVT-CL rig that I use during practice.

13. Martian Banshee

Martian Banshee

Jan 24, 2013
    Based on this review, I bought a KB200H and received it yesterday. I pulled it out of a well packed box, hooked it up, turned it on, and... nothing. The signal clip indicator remains illuminated and no signal is passed to either an 8 Ohm speaker or the headphones out. Obviously, there is something wrong in the signal clip circuit; caveat emptor - no Quality Control measures are taken in the manufacture of this amplifier. I'm getting my money back and buying a used SVT-III at the local Music Go Round.

14. parker 71

parker 71

Dec 23, 2009
    Serbia
    hello guys,

first of all, my apologies for revamping old thread.. but, it's so very little on the net about this head, and i need some info.
    i need to buy some spare head, and something for rehearsal and jams with friends, so i find this little guy and with nice price..
    to be more precise, i'm interested in rack mountable version

so.. after some time of using it, how you are satisfied? is it capable to cope with drums and one or two guitars? in terms of
    rehearsals, jams and who knows, maybe some gig (as a "just in case" head, maybe it'll see some action sometimes).
    and, can it run some bigger cabs? like 410 or 215/12..

thanks in advance
    cheers
    Marko

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 25, 2021