1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBBD: Notlob/Alexander Custom SC5 Fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mfbolton, Aug 27, 2016.

1. mfbolton

mfbolton Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2007
    Fort Wayne, IN
    It has been a long three and a half year journey, but my latest collaborative bass build is finished!

Neck: Warmoth Wenge with unlined fretless Ebony Fingerboard
    Body: Custom designed and built by Grant Alexander. Partially chambered Gonçalo Alves with a Quilted Maple top
    Pickups: Delano SBC5HE/S
    Pre-amp: Glockenklang 3-band
    Tuners: Gotoh
    Bridge: Hipshot
    Finish: Formby's Tung Oil Finish
    Straplocks: Dunlop Flush Mount
    Strings: D'Addario Black Nylon Tape Wound

Final assembly and setup done by yours truly.

She plays like a dream and sounds amazing! A bit on the heavy side at 12.5 lbs, but still comfortable to play both standing and sitting.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

2. mfbolton

Oct 30, 2007
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I forgot to include the "family" photo.

image.jpg

el_Bajo_Verde and Photobassist like this.
  3. mfbolton

Oct 30, 2007
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Played this at church today. A blast to play and I got several compliments on both looks and tone.

4. mfbolton

Oct 30, 2007
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sorry to bump an old thread, but I thought I’d let everyone I have decided to sell this beauty. Send me a message if you’d like more details or are interested.

5. mfbolton

Oct 30, 2007
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I finally got around to making a demo video of this bass. Please excuse my playing - I am far from a fretless virtuoso.

emjazz likes this.
  6. Looks and sounds great! How do you like the Warmoth neck? I've toyed with the idea of picking up a wenge jazz neck, love the feel of them.

7. mfbolton

Oct 30, 2007
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I’ve had several Warmoth necks and they have all been fantastic. This one in particular is wonderful. I love the feel of the Wenge and it pairs really well with the Ebony.