1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBBD - SX (Essex) Content

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HillBillyWannaB, Dec 22, 2011.

1. New beater bass day today. I ordered an SX Ursa 2 in sunburst the other day and it came today. First impressions are really good, I was pleasantly surprised at the build quality of this bass. Not so much the factory set up, but the quality is really great. The finish is beautiful. I originally was going to strip it and paint it dakota red, but I think I'll keep her as is.

I was never a fan of the newer SX headstocks, but it's really not that bad now that I see it in person.

Plugged it in and it really thumps pretty good right out of the box for what it is. I ran it flat and dry through my Combo 300 to get the true tone out of her. Unfortunately I think SX has moved the bridge pickup back to the original position, not the 70's position as shown on their website. I'd be interested to see if that's the case with all recent SX Jazz purchases. No big deal, would have been nice, but the rest of the bass more than makes up for that detail.

I'm really impressed, needs a setup badly which is no big deal for me to do. Neck relief, pup height and saddle height are in desperate need of attention. Intonation is slightly off as well, but an hour's worth of work and that all will be taken care of.

Mods planned (have everything already) are Geddy pups, shielding, CTS pots & cap. I bought a vintage SX neck for the headstock issue a few weeks ago, but that will go on the back burner for now. This neck is really nice looking, we'll see how badly we need a fret dressing after I get a good set up on her.

All in all I HIGHLY recommend these now that I've seen one in person. Will be a great back up for my Geddy or drop D bass for my Rush band. Very happy with my purchase. Okay, here she is, anything you see on the finish is just reflections. The finish is flawless....

IMG_20111222_162442.

IMG_20111222_162501.

IMG_20111222_162453.

IMG_20111222_162527.

IMG_20111222_162547.

IMG_20111222_162535.

2. Also, if you order these off of Amazon.com instead of Rondo, you save $20.

3. 90% the bass is just beautiful.

4. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    Looks great .

Put a set of your favorite strings on it and then check the tone . The pickups they come with are great sounding but the stock strings aren't that great so new strings make a big difference . I know you have the Geddy pickups already but you should give a listen to the stock ones too . Your other mod plans sound good also .

Congrats

5. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    Purty nice!

Personally I think the bridges are a bit cheapo, though I haven't changed any of mine yet. Sometimes you do need to sort of pry around on the saddles to get them where they belong. And the second thing that I feel REALLY tweaks out an SX is a new pickguard. Personally I love tort for all burst finishes and tinted MOP for natural wood. Since all SX pickguards seem to be "hand fitted" you have to take the old one off and use it as a template to copy the new one. Did that to all my SX basses. (at local shop: Pickguardian.com) One other thing worth considering is threaded inserts in the neck joint (There;s a couple TB threads on that somewhere) It really improves sustain and makes bass feel expensive!

I've got one like yours and bought an extra "old" headstock neck only mine is fretless. Inserts make it possible to easily switch between necks. Only problem is block inlays in the fingerboard were wavy and interfered with playing. So I bought an ebony fingerboard, but haven't installed it yet. Hmmm. An SX with blank plank ebony fingerboard! Now THAT should be cool!

Radiused fingerboard wood from: Guitar Fingerboards

6. Thanks guys. I'll definitely throw a set of High Beams on there when I do the setup. The main reason for putting in the Geddys is so I'll have an on stage backup for my Geddy in case I ever need one, plus I just love those pups!

I actually like the black on burst look, not a big fan of tort TBH.

7. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Nice lookin' bass! Congrats!

8. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    That would make me want to play some classic, 70's funk!

Despite the newer headstock (which I really don't find all that bad), I like it!

9. badboyb

badboyb

Aug 27, 2009
    australia
    GREAT looking bass!

You really should try it with different strings before changing the pickups.
    The stock pups are awesome

10. sammyp

sammyp

Aug 20, 2010
    NB, Canada

i love playing with the SXs too .....the only thing i would add to the list of mods is the nut ....i have two SX p basses and i found the nut spacing funky on both of them ....the g string was too far over away from the d string ...splitting hairs but my hands told me it wasn't right.

the graph tech tusq nuts i installed brought everything inline.

once you get her all dialed in i don't think you'll consider it a "beater" much longer!

11. Yeah, I agree on the "beater thing too. I think it's going to be a nice backup, maybe a first line bass for my "non-Rush" band. I was going to grab a black tusq Graphtech nut for my spare SX neck, maybe I'll just grab 2. Although the spacing on mine looks good, I like the look of a black nut.