Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

NBC'S "The Office" & Fodera

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rickr, Jan 6, 2006.

1. rickr

rickr Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA
    Did anyone see "The Office" last night? The sitcom took place on a "booz cruise" and the bands bass player was playing a Fodera. Crazy, I thought those shows all used "prop" fender basses or something.

2. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    yeah... I noticed that too. I love that show. I can't stand television except for football these days, but for some reason that one got me.

3. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    There's this show in the Disney Channel, 'Even Stevens' I'm not sure if it's on anymore, but it was a fairly recent show. Anyways, there was one episode where a bunch of kids form a band, and the kid who played bass had a Jerry Jones Longhorn and a Trace Elliot combo. He wasn't actually playing, he couldn't even fake it, so it's not like it was the actors own gear.

4. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove

A lot of shows use actual bands for a few reasons, one, they can get around the AFTRA/SAG requirements if the musicians are in the musicians union (it's a lot cheaper from what I understand) and also, if they shoot on location (such as a cruise ship) they can use the "staff" of the location as well without meeting those same requirements.

Fodera huh??? Which model??
    My wife hates when I'm watching TV and I do that "Hey look honey, he's playing a Blah Blah Blah!!"

5. rickr

rickr Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA
    Not sure which model exactly. Maybe a Emperor of some sort.
    It had double J's and a tobacco burst finish. The only way I could tell it was a Fodera was because of the Butterfly on the headstock.

6. Shawnost

Shawnost It's all about the Hamiltons baby! Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Huntersville, NC
    I noticed that too...wasn't sure if I was going crazy or not. :ninja:

Shawn

7. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    I noticed, and turned to my roomate and said that bass player has like a $3500 bass. He said you can tell all that from just that quick shot of the headstock?? I said yep, that little butterfly there is expensive :)

I was watching some TV show at a Sushi place the other day and noticed a nice Lakland too hehe. Some Japansese show.

8. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    Yeah, i noticed that too. We're such dorks.

9. +1 SHe especially hates it when I elaborate "Wow, that is a killer birdseye board... Wait, I think that one has a piezo too... Looks like one of the string mutes is missing... It's not a REAL bass, just a plywood copy..." So on a so forth... I love the little lady though, and God bless her for putting up with me :D .

-ryan-

10. BassTerd

BassTerd Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Yea i saw that dude with the long greasy fruity hair. I didn't care to much for the show. It was as though they were trying to hard to be funny. Nice axe though.

11. yeah, i saw it too, but the tobaccoburst threw me off, as I have never seen a fodera with something other than a natural finish

12. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    looked like an NYC...?

i was about to point that out in my off-topic thread. (go over there and profess your love for the show! :mad: :p )

13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The NYC series does not have the butterfly inlay.

14. ArwinH

ArwinH run rabbit run

Dec 1, 2005
    Southern California
    Watching Old School yesteday, and the bass player in the wedding band looked like he had a lakland 494 :bassist:

15. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    The Dan Band

Website

16. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca

ah. is there a regular fodera that's a jazz-style?

17. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    My wife kids me when I make comments like this as well, especially in public. We saw a friend's folk band a few months ago and during it she looks at me and says "So, do you know what kind of bass he's playing?"

18. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    Here are some pix of my old Emperor 5. It was a deep red burst (she was called Dr. Pepper because of the color). The shot of the headstock really shows how the burst was. The body was the same way.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The new NYC's look interesting.

19. Now that's a nice bass, Mike!! :eek:

I would love to have a jazz styled Fodera. I've always liked the ones I've seen.

Also, if you have any more pics of it, I'd love to see 'em!

20. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca

oh, man, that's such a purty emporer! one of the best foderas i've seen! :eek: