1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD—IBANEZ SR 750. Second time is the charm!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pbass74, Sep 29, 2017.

Tags:
  1. pbass74

pbass74

Sep 19, 2015
    Sunland, CA
    So, I had the opportunity to buy a brand new bass for the first time in over 40 years. I had decided that I wanted a bass with PJ style pickups and didn’t see any real need to go active. I really thought I would end up with a Fender product since that’s what I’m used to and they make some great products. However, I decided to look around a bit and ended up with something much different. This bass has active or passive mode. The full bypass to passive with a tone control was a big deal to me. It’s got a 1.5" width nut which I wanted. The P pickup is reversed and it’s got 24 frets—both new to me. And it was right within my budget. I’m going to have lots of fun and make lots of music with this one!

I say the second time is the charm because I had to return the first one due to the appearance. Many of you commented on my previous thread about the Mismatched Wings—check it out for the photo of the original. Mismatched wings on a brand new bass. Keep or return?

20170929_164639.jpg 2 SR 750 body.jpg

tlite, JeffC23, Deak and 24 others like this.
  2. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Congrats and certainly looks better than the first one. :) Just to satisfy my curiosity, does it sounds exactly like the first one -ie the mis-matched wings offered no acoustic advantage, I know that was a joke but ya never know.

Nice bass, glad you got one that matches. Enjoy!

pbass74 likes this.
  3. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    I do love a nice SR. I hope you have many great years with it.

pbass74 likes this.
  4. You can't do much better than Ibby SR for the price point - congrats!
    Personally I love the smaller bodies, thin necks, and active 3-band EQs. I've got 5 myself.

pbass74 and Marikk like this.
  5. I was surprised how many people liked the look of the other one in the other thread. This one looks much better I think.

Other than looks do you feel or hear much difference?

pbass74 likes this.
  6. 12BitSlab

12BitSlab Gold Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2016
    Liberty Township
    I love my SR750. Enjoy playing yours!

pbass74 likes this.
  7. bolophonic

bolophonic Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    Much neater appearance on the second one. Congrats!

pbass74 likes this.
  8. 'Tis a good looking bass indeed. Yes, I have always been a Fender bass kinda' guy too but I have a special bond to the feel and playability of my SR . (....now if you can just point me in the direction of the store you returned that other one too-I want to see if I can get that as a blemished return. I loved the uniqueness of the mismatched woods). I would definitely have an SR different than all others :smug:

pbass74 likes this.
  9. Mo cowbell

Mo cowbell Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2017
    Colorado
    THAT'S much better! Congratulations! You definitely made the right decision.

pbass74 likes this.
  10. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

very nice! glad you're happy with this one. congrats on your new instrument! :thumbsup:

pbass74 likes this.
  11. johnson79

johnson79

Jan 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    Nice!!!

pbass74 likes this.
  12. Great basses these. The active/passive option sold me on this model.

I had to get a second one as the first had a 5 string Jazz pickup on a 4 string bass!! The guy in the shop didn`t believe me at first. I didn`t even notice it until I had it a few days!

The thing was, the first one had a lovely finish to it and I was a bit worried that the replacement wouldn`t be as nice but luckily it was even nicer. And Ibanez sorted it out very quickly.

pbass74 likes this.
  13. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    I didn't hate the mis-matched wood on the other one but I'm not the one playing it. I'm glad you got one you like.

tat2clod and pbass74 like this.
  14. pbass74

pbass74

Sep 19, 2015
    Sunland, CA
    That's an interesting QC issue too. My 2nd bass came with the inspection tag hanging on the tuner. The first one didn't have one. Makes me wonder.

15. pbass74

pbass74

Sep 19, 2015
    Sunland, CA
    I can't tell any difference in the sound, but I'm not a tonewood geek either. I'll just adjust the knobs until it sounds the way I want it to.:cool:

Maxdusty, Aqualung60 and J_Bass like this.
  16. pbass74

pbass74

Sep 19, 2015
    Sunland, CA
    Other than needing a little tweak on the setup, I can't tell any difference. This one does seem a bit heavier, but I didn't weigh the first one, so I'll never know for sure.

TrustRod likes this.
  17. KBD would appreciate your NBD ... congrats :thumbsup:

BurnOut and Reedt2000 like this.
  18. smtp4me

smtp4me

Sep 30, 2013
    Philadelphia, PA
    Congrats! I was looking at the SR750 for a short time. Would love to hear some sound samples.

19. basspro

basspro Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2009
    Las Vegas,NV
    You did the right thing. I'm finding myself playing my SRs while my Fenders sit.
    TG you didn't get the other one that may have the reverse wings.

pbass74 likes this.
  20. J-Bassomatic

J-Bassomatic

Mar 30, 2017
    Canton OH
    Now THAT'S what we're talking about. Very nice!!

WaldoNova and pbass74 like this.