NBD - ✔Cheap ✔Unique ✔Matching HS ✔Cheap ✔Blue ✔Cheap

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RyanJD, May 25, 2017.

1. RyanJD

RyanJD

Apr 19, 2011
    Iowa
    20170524_172511.jpg

I bought a Chinese copy of a Chinese copy of a Fender instrument. (Yes, I repeated myself intentionally.) The original copy is a Stagg BM350‑SNB, obviously copying the Fender Jag. Well I discovered a used copy of that copy (or more likely, the same instrument with a different name on the headstock). I've never heard of Starsun, but it's apparently a Chinese mfg under a larger instrument production company that I've also never heard of.
    The bass has a little gunk on the bottom of the body, but it'll rub off. The gold hardware is getting worn, but it looks cool that way. (I think so anyways, even though I would prefer non-gold hardware. But it's decent quality either way.) The neck feels like the cheapest Squier you can imagine; equal in quality to an Affinity I would say. The body is nice and light. The MM pickups sound good. Much louder output than my Squier VMJ5, as I would expect. (I've never owned a bass with an MM pickup, let alone played one with dual MMs. So it's even more unique to me in that regard.) No clue when it was made. Any ideas? I wold guess early 2000's.
    I might rewire it, and definitely get some fresh strings on it. But it's not a bad 4 banger at all. Pretty much at the SX level. I would certainly bring it out to a gig where I had concerns about the environment. (Theft, the elements, etc.)
    So anyways, I bought it for $100. With a nice hard case. (Pictured.) Totally worth it.
    I don't know if I'll hang on to it for too terribly long though. I just sold three nicer basses and ended up buying two cheap ones! (The original point was to cut down in number, not recoup costs!) I'm going to have to re-evaluate my decisions soon, as I'll be a newlywed come November and I'll be moving out of my apartment to a place with my wife. So space restrictions are little more likely. :smug:
    Anyways, this guy should hopefully sate my GAS and bass curiosity for a little while longer. At least until a few months after I'm married... We'll see.

(Oh, also it's NPD for me as well. My FedEx pal should be showing up to bring me my MXR Bass Octave Deluxe any minute now!)

Attached Files:

2. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Good luck, with the nuptials, bro! If you can, claim the walk-in closet, early...

... you know... for 'shoes'.

3. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I've seen those for sale well over 200.00 new.

RyanJD likes this.
  4. RyanJD

RyanJD

Apr 19, 2011
    Iowa
    Genius! But then I'll also need the guest bedroom for my... "office" ...

Cool. I think it plays like a $200 bass. I would've given more than I paid for it anyways.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  5. RyanJD

RyanJD

Apr 19, 2011
    Iowa
    I just really wish the fretboard was maple.
    Other than that, I'm happy with it.

6. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Hey, I really like it. Retro cool but just different enough to make it really stand out.
    By the way, I would've paid $200 for it.

gjohnson441496 and RyanJD like this.
  7. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

Just fire an e-mail off to the manufacturer. There is a pretty good chance they will build to your spec.

staurosjohn likes this.
  8. I owned on once. They are lookers. Mine was not made very well, my tech and I couldn't get it dialed in short of heroic measures not worth the investment, so I let it go.

I hope yours is a better player than mine.

RyanJD likes this.
  9. RyanJD

RyanJD

Apr 19, 2011
    Iowa
    Thanks man! The combination of unique features did it for me. The matching headstock, bright blue, MM/MM config, body shape, etc.

Um, okay...

Yeah, I saw your posts about it when I was looking into buying it. I can totally see where you're coming from and how they could be hit or miss. But my experience so far has been that it's easily adjusted for neck relief and string/pickup height. I was able to get it playable without much effort, as it certainly didn't come that way out of the case.
    Makes me wonder if there are any actual differences between this and the Stagg counterpart...

10. Sounds like you got one of the "good ones." Congrats and enjoy.

RyanJD likes this.
  11. RyanJD

RyanJD

Apr 19, 2011
    Iowa
    Thanks man, it seems like it!

Also got my MXR BOD in. Looking forward to playing around with it!

12. wintremute

wintremute mediocrity at its finest

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    Endorsing Artist: Langstrom Carrot Farms
    With a hard case?!!? Great find! I like the name on the headstock, too. You have my stamp of approval.

RyanJD likes this.
  13. wintremute

wintremute mediocrity at its finest

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    Endorsing Artist: Langstrom Carrot Farms
    I noticed that bass is sort of a sky blue. Hold onto it. Don't let anyone take it from you.

RyanJD and Spectrum like this.
  14. BAG

BAG

May 5, 2014
    New Zealand
    Congrats on the upcoming nuptials.
    Your best bet is to hang on to as many basses as you can at this point in time, even going so far as buying another three or four unplayable $50 pawn shop basses. That way, after you move in together you make sure your wife knows exactly how many you currently have and that you will graciously be offloading a few of them to make room for her and her stuff. She'll love you for it.... and then down the track when she questions a purchase you can remind her of the time when you moved in and owned 10 or more basses and you only have five at the moment.

(this is a tongue-in-cheek post..... maybe)

15. Best looking "Jag" I've seen! I also think if MusicMan had gone with a shape like this instead of the more squared off and angular Big Al it would still be in production. Does it have a subtle sparkle to it or is that my screen playing tricks on me?

wmmj and RyanJD like this.
  16. Duder

Duder

Dec 6, 2014
    Florida
    Well done. I almost pulled the trigger on this bass myself.

RyanJD likes this.
  17. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

May 24, 2006
    home
    Love it! :thumbsup:

RyanJD likes this.
  18. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

Sorry if I was not clear with my initial post. What I was saying is that if you like this bass that much, you could likely order one with a maple board for very affordable price. There is at least one TBer who commissions some weird knock-offs with the usual counterfeiters. They appear to be pretty darn flexible over there.

RyanJD and Duder like this.
  19. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    How do you call a Chinese copy of Chinese copy? A number three for six...

RyanJD likes this.
  20. I think that is what Fender would call "Daphne Blue". I wish so bad Fender would make a Jag in the surf colors, like Daphne Blue or surf green, etc. And with a matching headstock like that, too. That is sweet-looking. Even the name on the headstock is cool. Congrats, man, enjoy it!

RyanJD likes this.