1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD: '06 Crafted in Japan Geddy Lee' Jazz Bass!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by InstantEctobass, May 18, 2019.

1. Here's to my 16th bass guitar I owned. Let's talk about that CIJ Geddy Lee Jazz Bass from 2006!

So, yes, I'm a Rush/Geddy fan. But I couldn't find any Geddy Lee to sell in my surroundings, and people told me that the Japanese were awesome. I opened France's "Craiglist" and boom. Here it was, 70km away from me. I took the car and bought it after a inspection and talk with the guy. It was dirty but neck was straight, pickups appeared original. The pickguard was trash but I was like "ehhh that's 20 euros" (until I found out you need a special PG for GL basses). The price was alright. 2006. Craft in Japan. Badass II. Let's go.

As soon as I arrived home, I fully cleaned the bass, bridge, pickup covers, neck, hardware in general. I'm a maniac, I hate dust and dirt. Now that it was cleaned, I put some strings, adjusted the truss rod one last time (boom), action, intonation. I plugged it. At first I was surprised by the "normal" volume ouput, as I read that these Japanese GL had more output that others, maybe the earlier ones? But so far so good, I raised the pickups a bit. It's better. And then I touched the jack pug. Heavy buzzing... OK! Some contact cleaner helped. But even though the bass has cavity shileding, it has a constant electrostatic noise (not to mix with single coil electromagnetic noise which goes away when both pickup are running at the same volume)... A bit disappointed by that noise. I checked the wiring but I suck at soldering. What can it be?

First of all, let me share some normal photos after the cleaning and then a photo of the control plate if some expert can help me? Cheers! :)

P_20190518_181219.

P_20190518_181236.

P_20190518_181152.

P_20190518_181252.

P_20190518_181548.

P_20190518_181535.

P_20190518_182150.

P_20190518_182220.

P_20190518_180923-01.

Above along the 2018 FSR 70s Jazz Bass I'm divorcing with... :') and now the control plate interior and wiring:

P_20190518_193012.
    I'm an happy bass player :cool:

2. RyanOh

RyanOh Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Woohoo congrats!!!

InstantEctobass likes this.
  3. Thanks, man! :)

RyanOh likes this.
  4. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    It looks like the jack isn't grounded. The open tang should ground to the control cavity floor. Should address the buzz.

5. I tried with a wire with I twisted the leads to make contact, the buzz is still there! Thanks for helping though. I'm worried, cause even my Squier is totally quiet since I shielded with aluminium foil

6. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I'm thinking someone replaced pots/components, forgetting to rewire common ground to each...

Jazz_bass_wiring_closeup_zps5bcbef71.

I can see the plate in the bottom, with attached wires, and a lone black wire attached to the neck volume pot...

Last edited: May 18, 2019
  7. That's so weird, the seller told me it was stock. Do you have your own GL JB?

Spidey2112 likes this.
  8. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    Bonjours.
    16 th bass. Life is good. Nice GL Jazz.
    Find someone who can solder and see if that helps.
    I am tempted to get a MIJ P bass after reading this.

9. Japanese are definitively above Mexican in my OWN EXPERIENCE (so far). Very pleased with the Japanese craftmenship :)

10. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    images(14).

11. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Yep... '15 USA GL... love it. Just comparing it to a diagram, though I'm pretty this is standard to have all pot housings connected to a common ground.

Maybe the CIJ GL does it differently?

BrentSimons likes this.
  12. RyanOh

RyanOh Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

My CIJ Geddy Lee, I believe all stock and around 2006-7.

EDIT: No hum/grounding issue on mine other than the usual Jazz coil hum.
    20190518_160602.

13. What's wrong? :)

So we got the same wiring as far as I can see!! What's your feedback? Thanks for the pic, man!

Spidey2112 and RyanOh like this.
  14. bassstrangler

bassstrangler

Mar 2, 2015
    So after all this time you finally broke down and bought the Geddy Lee Jazz Bass.

Congratulations, I hope it suits your passion for finding your 1970s vibe. I hope it fulfills your logo, pickup spacing and playing needs.

I thought I remember you saying you didn't want a Geddy because they are the color black.

JoshS and RyanOh like this.
  15. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Good job, Ryan! Looks the same as yours, @InstantEctobass. Is the common felt through the mechanical connection at the control plate, as well at the bus in the control cavity?

Weird no ground connection at the jack.

Now I'm curious if the USA is the same?

Ecto, you got Klink'd because of aluminum foil... I always thought copper foil was used in shielding cavities.

I probably need to be Klink'd, myself.

BrentSimons and RyanOh like this.
  16. Rallypoint_1

Rallypoint_1 Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2010
    Pasadena, California
    HOGAN!!!!

BrentSimons, SirMjac28 and Spidey2112 like this.
  17. Possibly the most beautiful headstock to be found anywhere!

SirMjac28 likes this.
  18. Clemouze

Clemouze

Sep 1, 2016
    Paris - France
    Salut ! Belle prise !

Have you ever tried the GL mex versions ?
    I have one HEAVILY moded

Attached Files:

19. I tried to link the grounding plate in the control cavity to the jack grounding and still buzzing :( i'm worried... can it be corrosion?

? :)

I 100% agree, this is my favourite headstock/logo. I love that headstock and also 1st Squier CV 60s headstocks too:

P_20190517_141040.

Merci :) I never tried any Mex. The only mex bass I have is a Fender Special Run 70s Jazz Bass! People are glorifying the MIJ Geddy Lee over the Mex, what did you mod exactly?

20. 2112

Apr 30, 2005
    Can do!

images(14).

Wisebass and Spidey2112 like this.