1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD+1: Hofner Galaxie HCT Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mongo2, Dec 22, 2017.

Tags:
  1. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I've been playing a Hofner Ignition Club for a few years and more recently a Hofner 500/5 Contemporary President.

I've always been a fan of the narrow necks on Hofner, Vox and Fender Performer basses and I've even DIY narrowed a couple of necks from SX and a Fender Bronco to satisfy my desire for a solid body with a similarly narrow neck.

Also to that end I've been looking for, but not finding, a shortscale Hofner Contemporary Galaxie for a few years so when I came across one on Amazon (Black with Tort guard) the other day I ordered it immediately. It arrived yesterday.

First impression is this MIC Galaxie is very well put together. Fit and finish are fine except for one very tiny niggle I'll get to later. The satin finish neck is a bit chunky but has a soft "V" profile which makes the chunkiness very comfortable. The maple neck also has quite a bit of random flame which is nice. Fingerboard looks to be rosewood and the binding is cream. The fret work is very good but the nut has sharpish corners which I will smooth over before gigging. The nut slots are a little bit high for me so I'll lower those a tad which is something I've had to do with quite a few production basses I've owned.

I wasn't sure I'd like the fingerboard markers but they give it a very '60's kitch vibe which is fine by me.

The tuners are the same as on my Ignition Club and violin basses and I haven't had any issues with them over the years. The OEM roundwounds are awful, there's no other way to put it.

The bridges are apparently the less expensive version of the single string bridge and they abut against each other to suit the narrow neck width. The very tiny fit and finish niggle I mentioned before is that a few of the bridge mounting screws were not tightened completely but a slight twist with a screwdriver remedied that. Not a biggie, but it was there.

Setup was usable out of the box so I tuned it and plugged in. I must say was very disappointed in the sound with the OEM roundwounds so today I put on my usual D'Addario nylon tapes (after opening the tuner post holes a bit to accommodate the wider E and A strings) and that bass came alive. I was actually stunned by how much better it sounded with the new strings. Punchy and authoritative is how I'd describe it. It's definitely a keeper.

I was surprised to find that intonation was spot on with the new strings so I didn't bother adjusting the bridges but they look easy enough to adjust.

Sorry, no pix of mine but here's the Amazon photo.

81s4DXPdWAL._SY550_.

Almost forgot...I replaced the chrome domes with small black chicken head knobs.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
    Rock Salad, fenjazz, fermata and 2 others like this.
  2. Aberdumbie

Aberdumbie

Jan 22, 2016
    South Carolina
    I much appreciate your input on another fine bass..... Help an old guy that struggles with 21st century verbiage... What are “chicken head knobs”?

Edit... Well never mind. Google solved my query.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
  3. Mark76

Mark76

Dec 1, 2015
    Leicester
    It's a shame they stopped making those

4. fermata

fermata

Nov 10, 2015
    Mountain West
    Indeed! That looks like a great find, and I'd love a solid body with a narrow (more specifically limited taper) neck and narrow string spacing, a la Hofner. Congrats!