1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD: 100$ Mystery Warwick

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Treebeard, Oct 9, 2017.

1. Treebeard

Treebeard

Jun 5, 2016
    Fuquay, NC
    Bear Light Symphony, TimepeaceNC Band
    Just got home from this deal I found on offerup. An 18 year old kid was selling his step dad's old Warwick bass that they didn't want. For 100$. We chitchatted a bit - turns out our grandparents are good friends and we knew of each other but had never met. I gave him some cash and we went our ways.

Upon close inspection the only defect seems to be a bit of cat pee at some point which has corroded the bridge hardware. I have no idea what model this bass is, but it's a passive JJ with blend/volume made in 1999. It plays great now I've put some new stings on and spritzed it. How good of a deal did I get?!

Attached Files:

PWRL, MYLOWFREQ, wintremute and 19 others like this.
  2. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    A several hundred dollars bass for peanuts. A little cleaning and strings and you're set my friend. Not bad, not bad at all.

SirMjac28, DevinWard369 and Treebeard like this.
  3. aaronious

aaronious Supporting Member

May 23, 2011
    Denver CO
    If you wanna make some $$ off it, let me know.

4. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Years ago I had one like that. Was a 5 string with a preamp. I think the model was Corvette

MattZilla, Dr. Cheese and Treebeard like this.
  5. madmaskbass

madmaskbass

Apr 29, 2008
    Australia
    That is a Corvette Standard Bass with a Wenge Neck. Body wood looks but don't quote me..like bubinga. This is one of the earlier corvettes from the 90's (the last two digits on the serial number indicate its year). This is a high Quality German made bass that with a bit of clean up work would both sound and play incredibly (as long as no damage is there). The older Wenge neck models are reasonably sort after for their stability and sound qualities. Value wise it isn't going to fetch huge dollars but would be a tidy return on your investment..value for $$ is incredible as these are incredibly well made and moreso amazing sounding instruments. Go to the Warwick web site and punch in the serial number for more detailed information.. NICE SCORE!!! please clean and wax this poor lil gem!

6. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    Damn nice score and an earlier one too.
    Well done

Dr. Cheese and Treebeard like this.
  7. CORBS

CORBS

Dec 28, 2010
    German Warwick Corvette. Worth around 500$ in great condition. You got a darn good deal. You can get a replacement bridge and be ready to rock, great basses.

8. Treebeard

Treebeard

Jun 5, 2016
    Fuquay, NC
    Much appreciated! Those PU's sound 'YUGE' I must say - they remind me of the Fender AVRI 74's but a tad more modern if that makes sense.

9. CORBS

CORBS

Dec 28, 2010
    I think the neck looks like Ovangkol to me but I could be wrong, and 99 is a transition year from when Wenge became endangered and they couldn't economically use it anymore.

That's not a bad thing though. The Wenge necks are more sought after but they are darker with less variation in the grain.

Treebeard likes this.
  10. madmaskbass

madmaskbass

Apr 29, 2008
    Australia
    The closeup photo shows that it is defs Wenge but rhe body shot looks makes it look lighter...

CORBS and Treebeard like this.
  11. Gizmot

Gizmot Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Nashville area
    You’re as clean as the Board of Health on this deal.

Clean it, adjust it up and enjoy it.

Treebeard likes this.
  12. CORBS

CORBS

Dec 28, 2010
    My mistake. Wenge neck warwick for 100$... Wow!

Treebeard likes this.
  13. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Owned the same one from the same era. The neck is wenge and they are fantastic basses when the necks are good. They sound like what most people want their Jazz basses to sound like when they complain about theirs sounding "thin". It was my first bass that cost more than $300 (IIRC they were about $900 retail new) and also was the first bass I ever did any real studio time with. I traded in an SVT 810 for a brand spanking new Corvette when I was 20 yrs old...nice bass, but I'm still kicking myself.

14. Wow for $100 that is a very nice score I'd say!

15. spufman

spufman

Feb 7, 2005
    Central CT
    Great score. I have a '97 and it's a great bass. Even though Warwicks are (imo) undervalued on the used market, $100 is an absolute steal of a deal.

16. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    Great deal. Nicely done. Bit jelly over here.

Treebeard likes this.
  17. Hope stepdad doesn't mind when he finds out. :roflmao:

johnson79 and Treebeard like this.
  18. Treebeard

Treebeard

Jun 5, 2016
    Fuquay, NC
    I didn't ask if he would and I didn't want to know XD

19. jaybones

jaybones Banned

Mar 4, 2015
    Kelleys Island, Ohio
    none
    Always better to not know!

Great deal man! As far as the cat pee corroded bridge, it doesn't look that bad in the pic.

And clean it up (corrosion shouldn't be too bad unless it was a one of those Chernobyl cats) so unless the metal is pitted you should be good to go. As said replacements are available.

20. somebrains

somebrains Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2017
    Nice catch, hope the kid doesn't speed that $100 into the ER.
    I'd cruise the classifieds for a nicer set of pickups, maybe a preamp, and you are set.

There's a lot of love for the wenge neck Vettes for more than the $500 usual selling price.

Treebeard likes this.