NBD: 1959 Fender Jazz Bass!! *Pic heavy*

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by magnaton, Aug 28, 2022.

1. magnaton

magnaton

Dec 12, 2013
    New York
    Hey friends -- I wanted to share something really special with those that may be similarly interested. It's a 1959 Fender Jazz Bass!!!

By most accounts there were only ever 4 of these prototypes built at the time and I feel very fortunate to be the next custodian of this piece of Fender history.

You'll notice right off the bat that it has two original jazzmaster style bass pickups that sound just insane, but there's loads of other interesting details too like the extra thick grounding strip, three knobs that pre-date the stack knobs, a clipped Fender logo...

The best part is it's an outstanding player!! I'm lucky to have several old Fenders but this is something I'm gonna reach for often. Promise to upload some audio clips as soon as I get a chance but I honestly just couldn't wait to share.

Photo cred to Joe Riggio who helped revive this old gal and is much handier with a camera than I'll ever be. Enjoy!

FQ0A4018.jpeg FQ0A4019.jpeg FQ0A4020.jpeg FQ0A4023.jpeg FQ0A4026.jpeg FQ0A4027.jpeg FQ0A4029.jpeg FQ0A4042.jpeg FQ0A4022.jpeg FQ0A4016.jpeg

2. Greg75

Greg75

Nov 20, 2009
    Texas
    Wow! Talk about owning a piece of history. Congratulations. Truly incredible.

3. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    A unicorn!
    I've only seen pictures. Very small pictures, until now lol.

PhinDog, Rip Van Dan, SJLee and 12 others like this.
  4. Ghastly

Ghastly

Oct 18, 2015
    Ravenholm
    Very interesting. :thumbsup:

5. Barry Vestal

Barry Vestal

Nov 24, 2015
    Iowa
    :woot::woot::woot::woot::drool::drool::drool::drool:

Justinian, JMacBass65 and magnaton like this.
  6. Frankly, I think it looks better than the typical Jazz Bass.

7. halcyo

halcyo

Sep 19, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Christ! What did you have to fork out for something like that!? Damn museum piece, basically, isn't it!?

Those pickups are bound to be quite the conversation piece around here.

8. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Inactive

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Congrats. That's a ridiculously cool piece of all of our history. I'm glad you have it.

9. b/o 402

b/o 402

Jul 14, 2015
    DC & MD
    So I’m ignorant. Were those 5-pole Jazzmaster pickups original to this instrument?

DJ Bebop and magnaton like this.
  10. MVE

MVE

Aug 8, 2010
    So… what exactly is inside those pickup covers?
    Are the bobbins actually bigger or are they regular sized pickups in bigger cases?

11. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    The coils of original vintage Jazzmaster pickups are about 1/8" high and the windings are wide, almost out to the edge of the bobbin which is about 1-1/2" wide.

12. got_the_bug

got_the_bug Gold Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2007
    NH
    The whole thing is neat…but especially that neck! :drool:

CarlMega, Steve88, tblurker and 9 others like this.
  13. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    What a cool find! Dying to hear those soundclips. I love seeing these experiments Leo used to make.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2022
    PeteOlig, eadg98005, DJ Bebop and 7 others like this.
  14. ErikP.Bass

ErikP.Bass Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2004
    Subbed. This is going to be an AWESOME thread. Thank you for sharing! Can’t wait to hear some clips of this beauty.

DJ Bebop, SJLee, stretch80 and 4 others like this.
  15. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Congrats!!
    Joe is local, and he mentioned he had done the work on this rare Jazz. I got excited!

16. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Nice! I've only ever seen one of these in person at a vintage guitar show at the Pomona Fairgrounds in CA in the early 90's. Very Cool, indeed!

17. J-Bass RMR

J-Bass RMR Supporting Member

just - Wow! I don't have the words...

UNICORN BASS, jamro217 and magnaton like this.
  18. bobyoung53

bobyoung53 Supporting Member

I've heard of these and most likely have seen a photo here and there, congratulations. I'm very interested in hearing what it sounds like.

19. YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. MVE

MVE

Aug 8, 2010
    Its also very interesting that the neck is 5 pole but the bridge is 4.

jamro217, cymbop, HardNHeavy and 7 others like this.