1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD!!! 1965 Jazz! Oh Snap?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Zentner, May 20, 2011.

1. It has arrived! I was skeptical being that I had to (pretty much) commit to the bass without having it in my hands. It has WELL exceeded my expectations.

I spent 2 hours polishing the body- the pictures I saw it in when I bough it made the finish look like the gloss had been worn right off, and even in your hands it had that matte feel to it- not anymore! That nitro glows now! Set it up to play the way I like, and I'm really diggin the weight (just over 8lbs). I have a fair share of 60's and 70's instruments, and I know how old basses typically don't sound as crisp or clean- more often than not they have that rubber band lack of bottom end, a tubby sounding midrange and fluffy highs.To my surprise the neck pickup specifically is HOT and has a ton of bottom end, and both pickups have a ton of clarity. I can't believe how quiet this bass is! I actually had a look at the pickups to make sure they weren't replaced with noiseless I was so surprised. I couldn't be happier, and I certainly can't complain about the price.

100_2777.

100_2775.

100_2758.

100_2794.

Thanks to all who convinced me.

2. Oh my god!!!!
    That is beautiful
    You are very lucky...

3. Very nice.
    Congrats

4. Sorry, dude, that's a RoadWorn reissue.

Just kidding.
    Enjoy.
    BTW, since you mentioned "price," how much?

5. I paid $4500

6. Farfetched

Farfetched

Jan 7, 2009
    double nice

7. Agito

Agito

Jun 27, 2009
    That's a very awesome bass, congratulations!

8. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Solid! What did you use to polish/buff the bass?

9. paganjack

paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Wows. Nice bass man.

10. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Great price actually.

Oh yeah, and BEAUTIFUL bass

11. Words can't discribe how much I hate you.

Just kidding, congratulations on a wonderful bass!

12. s4001

s4001

Feb 2, 2009
    No, really. Words can't describe the hatred.
    :bassist:

13. Zymol Wax/Cleaner with a soft 100% cotton rag.

I tried using the gibson polish I have and a microfiber cloth and it just smeared all the gunk around on it...

I got the idea of the zymol from the Ric Resource Forum- the builder of Rickenbacker Acoustic instruments wrote a pretty comprehensive guide on how to get scratches out of your instrument (even nitro) and the best way to polish delicate finishes. It took awhile to get it where it is but the results are pretty astounding.

Here's a before and after of my Ric 4001.

Ric015.

...and after some time with the Scratch X and Zymol:

68Ric4001023.

Thanks for all the kind words guys!

14. Antny

Antny

Jan 30, 2011
    New York
    Congrats! She's a beauty! :hyper::crying::bassist::hyper::crying::hyper:

15. jim nolte

jim nolte

Oct 26, 2006
    california
    Yours looks like the twin of my 65. I bought it in 1969 for $200.00!! It was the last of the "L" series, L89***, with a neck stamp date of 7 May 65. Is yours an L, and have you looked at the neck date yet? I'm wondering how close they were made. When I've tried to polish it with Ernie Ball polish the finish started to smear, not good! Maybe because when I first got it I polished it with Johnsons Floor Wax::ninja: Where did you get the polish you used? You're going to love it,don't sell it:bassist:

16. OPBASSMAN1994

OPBASSMAN1994

Jul 30, 2010
    a 65 jazz and that sexy Ric! I HATE YOU!!!!! XO

17. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Congrats!