1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD : 1968 Fender Precision Black/Maple

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MD Stingray, Jan 9, 2012.

1. I am full circle and back to the basics. The Precision is lightweight and considering the age in very good condition.

I am very proud to own this piece of history.

Please correct me when my interpretations of the serialnumbers and neck/pots dates are wrong.

Serial number : 251133 (1967-1969)
    Neck stamp date : 5 JAN 68 C : 5 (model number for Precision) JAN (Month) 68 (Year) C (Neck Shape)
    Pots Date : 304 6631 : 304 (Stackpole) 66 (Year) 31 (Week)
    Pick Up date : 5-10-68 in pencil : 5 (month or model) 10 (day) 66 (year) / MR Fingers commented that 5 (Operator) 10 (Week)
    Neck : Maple (I don’t see many Precisions with a maple neck from ‘66-‘69)
    Tuners : Fender Lollipops/Oval (Don’t see too many of these too on a Precision)
    Color : Black (I think a custom color back then)

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Man, that is super nice!

Enjoy it...

3. Thanks man, I am!

4. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Super cool!

5. klejst

klejst

Oct 5, 2010
    Nebraska
    Wow! That is a true beauty and piece of history indeed! :eek:

6. nagarjuna

nagarjuna

Dec 10, 2006
    The Gunks, NY
    I too have never seen a maple board from the mid to late 60's. That might be rarer than rare. Paging John K.........

7. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Kansas City, MO
    Wow! That is super nice! Great find!

8. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Nice! Late 60's maple fingerboard...that's pretty damn rare.

9. bassistjoe93

bassistjoe93 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2011
    Woah! Hot!

10. sneha1965

sneha1965

Nov 7, 2007
    NOVA
    Oh man! You just hit the jackpot! Enjoy.

11. This bass being rare is purely coincidence. I was not in the market for a rare Bass, just wanted the best sounding Precision I could get my hands on.

Nice though that there are not many out there.

12. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    I've seen a '64 P with a maple fingerboard, but that was ONCE, online, I'll see if I can find it. They were super rare back then, I'm sure other TBers will know more about the specifics, but I've definitely seen one for sale...and it was about twice as much as a 64 P with a rosewood board...

Congrats on the new purchase! I bet it's a killer instrument.

13. sneha1965

sneha1965

Nov 7, 2007
    NOVA
  14. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Yep! That's the one I was referring to in my earlier post...

15. Thank you all for your nice comments.

So the neck is quite rare. What about the Tuners? I've seen them mainly on 66-68 Fender Jazz Basses.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

16. Close up neck:

[​IMG]

17. If I recall correctly, 5 is for the operator (the one who wound the pickup), 10 is the week of the year, and 66 is obviously the year.

Tuners are normally used on Jazz-Basses (virtually all Jazzes from 1966 to early 1968 have them, it's the first Fender-produced tuner after they stopped purchasing the Kluson 538 "reverse" tuners. Because they couldn't produce that many keys, they still used Klusons on the "non-top-of-the-line" model, the P-bass. In 1968, the production capacity was increased, and all basses received the CBS-tuner (basically the lollipop, with a "normal" button)), but every once in a while a P surfaces with the lollipop tuners, from the factory. They can also be found on some of the early telecaster basses). The maple cap was an option from 1966 on, for a 5% surplus on the price (everything was an extra 5%: custom color, maple cap, case,...), thus they are quite rare. Given it's also a custom color, it's double rare!

18. treekiller

treekiller

Mar 4, 2010
    Iowa
    Wow, nice find!!! I came across an early Tele Bass at a store in the Twin Cities a couple of years ago that had the lollipop tuners, but IIRC it was a solid maple neck. Pretty cool, but kinda heavy and definitely out of my price range at the time.

19. nagarjuna

nagarjuna

Dec 10, 2006
    The Gunks, NY
    Mr. Fingers is right, you hit the jackpot. I've seen a lot of P basses having worked on 48th st., but never that combo. Who cares what it's worth. Play your heart out on it.

20. added your comments to 1st post. Thanks!