NBD! 1975 Precision. Are the pickups original?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Blackhawks55, Jul 10, 2020.

1. Blackhawks55

Blackhawks55

Jul 21, 2013
    Hi guys,

I got my first vintage precision today. Very well kept and has spent most of it's life in the case. All original to my eyes minus the pick guard. Digging it a lot so far. Great neck, under 10lbs; (Rare for an ash body of this era). I'm trying to decipher whether there's any trickery with the electronics/pickups. Would you guys mind taking a look at the pickups and wiring? The pickup stamp reads "114875", which I'm assuming the 75 corresponds with 1975? Thanks a lot! Pictures are attached below.

Attached Files:

2. Dluxe

Dluxe

Jan 9, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Everything looks good

Blackhawks55 likes this.
  3. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Pups look right to me.

SpazzTheBassist and Blackhawks55 like this.
  4. Blackhawks55

Blackhawks55

Jul 21, 2013
    Thank you both! I appreciate the reassurance!

Chickenwheels likes this.
  5. bmusic

bmusic

Oct 22, 2017
    Los Angeles
    Oh my god, that’s nice. Congrats. Looks totally legit.

I just got into 70s Precisions last year, and now I have a well-preserved 73 and a totally trashed 74. Enjoy!!

Blackhawks55 likes this.
  6. Blackhawks55

Blackhawks55

Jul 21, 2013
    That's so awesome! LUCKY!

7. Blackhawks55

Blackhawks55

Jul 21, 2013
    Few more pics attached. Gotta love how clean this one is. Neck is dead flat with the truss rod just barely engaged.

Attached Files:

8. Dluxe

Dluxe

Jan 9, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Very nice! I've got a natural finished '77 that I love.

IMG_20200617_183556505.jpg

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
  9. Blackhawks55

Blackhawks55

Jul 21, 2013
    Freaking gorgeous!

10. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    All legit, 1975.

Blackhawks55 likes this.
  11. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Yes 75. The pickups are dated 48th week of 75. The pots seem to be about spring 75.

Looks great Joe!

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
    Blackhawks55 likes this.
  12. Rabidhamster

Rabidhamster

Jan 15, 2014
    Looks like solder on the back of the pot was altered, I would think the pickup may have been taken out and reinstalled going by the screw holes in pickup cavity also, but for something like this untouched factory solder joints really don’t matter, so long as the parts are all year-correct. Pickup looks good to me.

That’s an excellent looking bass congrats!

Blackhawks55 likes this.
  13. Yea.. prior owner took out the upgraded bart or emg prob lol.... nice that it was put back to original before sale.

I mean i like aftermarket pickups a lot, and don't care about vintage authenticity (hell... if my violin had original 1700s neck angle still then I'd never have been able to use modern strings or tune to A440... so to me, upgrades add value)....

I always liked 70s fenders. Call me weird.

14. rantbot

rantbot

Jul 10, 2020
    Interesting. I have one exactly like that, right down to the replacement pickguard. The 1973 white pickguard really didn't look all that good against woodgrain. I replaced it with a Fender black one about 1978 (1978? My, how time flies). Neck screw plate serial number is 394565. The pickup stamp is 161173, but I don't use those pickups because they went intermittent on me fifty years ago and are useless. However my neck stamp is 5 JAN 73 B, obviously a plain date and not any kind of mystery code.

Blackhawks55 likes this.
  15. Roxbororob

Roxbororob Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2015
    Montreal
    Very nice. Duct tape looks suspiciously new...

Did I say very nice?!

Blackhawks55 likes this.
  16. dalkowski

dalkowski Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    ya dun good.

Blackhawks55 likes this.
  17. klejst

klejst

Oct 5, 2010
    Very nice! Congrats

Blackhawks55 likes this.
  18. Fender4Me

Fender4Me The Undertaker

Super nice P ! Congrats!

Blackhawks55 likes this.
  19. Congrats on your KILLER new P-Bass.

I have that same bass, but mine is a '78.

I found this in a pawnshop 2 years ago during my sales route, and was able to buy it for $400.

Mine is a little bruised and scarred and it's all original.

Here's a few pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Tim Skaggs

Tim Skaggs

Sep 28, 2002
    Looks original to me. As mentioned, it appears the pickup has been out and was put back in (or another period accurate pickup was installed) just based on solder joints and the double screw hole in the pickup cavity. That wouldn’t be an issue with me.

An old friend of mine had a ‘76 model that looked like this bass in every way. His was the lightest P bass I’ve held, and it was the most resonant bass I’ve ever played. It seemed “springy”.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 1, 2021