1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD! 1977 (maybe 78?) P!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MoeTown1986, Dec 1, 2020.

1. MoeTown1986

MoeTown1986 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    New old bass day, I should say!

I posted my 2008 American Deluxe Jazz 5 up for trade in here and had no real interests. I decided to try Facebook Market last Wednesday and was overwhelmed with trade offers. I ended up settling on this one. Best I can tell by comparing the serial number with other 77's and 78's, it's a 1977 P. The neck and frets are in great shape and the truss rod was in good working order. The original pickup and pickguard had been replaced. The pickup seems to be a Fender Original 62. The pickguard is an actual celluloid tort guard. All in all, I feel as if I made out great in the trade! My P collection has now expanded to 10.
    egggah4g4f.jpg 5ha5hj5tg.jpg ysa5h5gya5.jpg h5ag54g5g.jpg juay5h555.jpg

Hachimitsu, leto, Mr Cheese and 13 others like this.
  2. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    The oddity is that the thumb rest holes are on the wrong side. That's either an older pickguard or there's more to this intrepid story! :D

3. MoeTown1986

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    I noticed that as well. It has the “tug bar” holes. I’m looking for a period correct pickguard and a thumb rest. It seems as though tort died out in the early 70’s and then went all black for the late 70’s pickguards. I may have to cheat a little because I’m a sucker for tort.

J_Bass likes this.
  4. I'd say it's a more modern aftermarket pickguard, and a previous owner put a tugbar on it. I'm not seeing holes in the guard for the chrome pickup cover, which would be present on a vintage guard.

Pdaddy1978, Jxff and Ricky Rioli like this.
  5. Very nice indeed.

MoeTown1986 likes this.
  6. MoeTown1986

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    Yeah, I don’t think it’s a vintage guard by any means. It’s also too clean.

7. MoeTown1986

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    So there are no tugbar holes in the body. Just the upper thumb rest holes. I did order a 70’s style celluloid tort guard for it with the proper top side thumb rest holes, though.

Pet Sounds likes this.
  8. FirewalZ

FirewalZ

Aug 14, 2014
    S.E. Michigan
    I have a 77 Jazz....I believe the original PG would have likely been black and had a sticker underneath with the same serial number as the headstock....at least mine does anyway.

Jxff, Koog and BassBlue like this.
  9. MoeTown1986

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    Yeah, I agree. All the 77-78 P’s I see on reverb that are original have black pickguards. Unfortunately, I got it as is.

Pdaddy1978 likes this.
  10. dalkowski

dalkowski Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    Nice! I have a cousin P, same vintage (one of these days when I'm feeling brave I'll disassemble it), with skunk stripe on the neck which should signify something but I don't know what....

11. Nice. Weight? I have a 78 Jazz that is a boat anchor - and a 74 ash Precision that is under 9 lbd.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
    MoeTown1986 likes this.
  12. MoeTown1986

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    I haven’t officially weighed it yet. But, I have an American Original 60’s that’s weighs exactly 9lbs and the 77 is a tad lighter. I’d guess a hair over 8.5lbs.

DirkP likes this.
  13. MoeTown1986

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    Does yours have a maple board?

14. dalkowski

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    Yessir! Is that why the stripe?

Also I see your decal sez "Made in USA" under the "IO." Mine doesn't.

*** Mind you, I'm not calling any of this out to dispute your P! There's just so much Fender arcana to fall into.

MoeTown1986 likes this.
  15. J_Bass

J_Bass

Feb 7, 2008
    Porto, Portugal
    Uau, that's a Deaky bass, I love those basses!

Congratulations on your purchase.

1fe195254f737332644f2c24bbda97ac.jpg

andruca and MoeTown1986 like this.
  16. That's great! I like those 70s Fender basses, the only issue I have are the many boat anchors. My P has a replacement pickguard and pick-ups (Häussel), too. Love it.

17. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    That's some type of aftermarket pickguard because it has the holes for the finger rest, but not the pickup cover. It's not a Fender guard. The tort is all wrong.

18. MoeTown1986

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    Yeah, since yours is is all maple, the cut the back of the neck to put the truss rod in. The skunk stripe fills that cut. With a rosewood board, the truss rod goes in from the front before the board is glued on.

dalkowski likes this.
  19. MoeTown1986

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    Thanks!!!

J_Bass likes this.
  20. dalkowski

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    I learned something today, making today a grand day. Thanks @MoeTown1986 !

MoeTown1986 likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 15, 2021