1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD- 1980 Precision Special

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MikeBass, Apr 3, 2018.

1. 574FCD57-16ED-4A12-8ED3-E8299A556A58. 3F744016-12FD-48A5-9D46-FC4EC4C641E9. ACBBFBFF-07D2-4AF0-BA07-9E8FF8D960FC. this thing is badass.
    The first model Fender put a pre-amp in.
    And yes, the treble is kinda harsh, but I rarely boost treble anyway. The bass is actually pretty useful. Not too boomy and tubby.

Just having the pre-amp on makes the thing come alive. Gives it a different take on a traditional PBass sound. Kind of like a “modern” PBass version of the “modern” jazz bass sound.

Has typical PBass neck width, but it’s not thick and chunky front to back. Fender said it’s based on the “B” neck from an early 60’s PBass.

I guess others have had them and they’ve been heavy. This one has some weight, but it’s not bad at all. Haven’t weighed it yet, but I don’t care because I’m playing the snot out of it.
    One of the larger churches here in Detroit that I play at (their auditorium holds about 1600), the primary FOH engineer told me “just always bring that blue bass from now on”. And in various venues here in the Midwest I’ve heard nothing negative, and only great comments on it.

Just had to add a DTuner and it was perfect.

2. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    Great basses congrats.

3. elgranluis

elgranluis

Feb 14, 2003
    El paso, TX
    i own the exact same bass , on a walnut body underneath. the neck is superb, congrats on an amazing bass

4. I had one of these in red years ago. Sounded amazing and the action was stupid low. I regret not keeping it, although mine was quite heavy.
    Great basses.

5. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

nice catch, OP! congratulations on your new instrument! :thumbsup:

6. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    seen the light.

and the light is blue... :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Hi MikeBass :), what can I say?

The FOH guy loves the bass you love. It can' t get better! :thumbsup:

Happy NBD!!! :hyper::hyper::hyper:

Wise(b)ass

7. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    Congrats from Highland MI!

8. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Too cool!

9. That's very nice!

10. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    All that and it looks great too!

11. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    Congrats on your new bass. May it serve you well.

Oh to be young again...I bought a brand new CAR in '81...extremely pleasant neck is what I remember of it, and the feeling of a really well-built instrument, something that my previous '79 standard Precision sorely lacked.

These basses were the ones that started to show that Fender was getting their act together. Somewhat unique offering, and definitely not everyone's cup of tea.

Play it in good health and enjoy.

12. Very nice! Love the color and the matching headstock.

13. selowitch

selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    Sensational.

14. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Rock it in good health, Mike!