1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD: 1981 G&L L-1000 Mahogany/Ebony--w/crazy followup!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sourwookie, Jan 24, 2018.

1. sourwookie

sourwookie

Jul 31, 2013
    Back in the mid 90's I purchased on a total whim a 1980 G&L L-1000 in natural mahogany with ebony fingerboard. I was a kid, and there was really no internet to research with had no real idea what it was, but I liked it’s Stingray style and look without an annoying plastic pick guard (never been a fan of pickguards, I even had a burled walnut pickguard made for my J-Bass). It ended up being the greatest bass I ever played until it was stolen in 2005 out of my house. I was devastated and cried for days. I was gigging over 20 hours a week then and was very bonded with it. I really lost a part of myself.

In the interim I switched to J-basses (built a Warmoth/All Parts in 2005, it was stolen in 2013--more on that to come). I had thought about getting another L-1000, but I felt that I was too beholden to the 1 1/2" neck and could not adjust back, so I never purchased one.

A couple months ago I felt that I should probably get one anyway to put my soul to rest, and I am I glad I ever did! Here she is, identical to my old one in mahogany and ebony, except for this one is a Sunburst. While the nut is wider than I am used to, the neck is shallower than a typical P, and I have (re)adapted to it with little effort. It feels just like my old baby, and I’m glad I give this one a home.
    unnamed. unnamed-1. unnamed-2.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  2. themarshall

themarshall

Jun 26, 2008
    cochrane wi
    Nice bass. Need better pics of the pooch.

kesslari and sourwookie like this.
  3. sourwookie

sourwookie

Jul 31, 2013
    When the G&L was stolen in 2005, I built a custom J. It was my main player until 2013 when it was stolen out of my car when I accidentally left it in the back seat after a gig. I bought a Modern Player's J as a replacement.

When I ordered the G&L at work the Friday before Christmas, I announced to my co-workers (I work in a music store) "just watch, the day after the G&L comes in, one of my stolen basses will come in through that door".

So the G&L arrives the following Thursday. Guess what happens Friday. I poopie you not.

A customer comes in looking for essentially all the screws to assemble a J bass. I am helping him out, and he mentions a couple details that catch my attention. I ask him about the burled walnut pickguard. He then asks "is your last name xxxxx?" I tell him YES! my name and the build date are in the neck pocket and neck.

So it turns out he is happy to return my bass (his son bought it as a box of parts for $125, I gave him $150). I took it home and assembled it that night.

unnamed-3.

4. Mark76

Mark76

Dec 1, 2015
    Leicester
    YAY :D

5. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Welcome home old friend. Be sure to update this when your original L1000 walks back into your life!
    Nice score on both. The L1000 is my favorite G&L bass.

leegreenman likes this.
  6. sourwookie

sourwookie

Jul 31, 2013
    German Short Haired Pointer mix.

themarshall likes this.
  7. I have a mahogany with ebony fretboard '81 L1000 that I picked up used from a fellow TBer. I've come close to selling it in the past, but it is a superior bass for sure. It had slot poles on the pick up. The original pickup went microphonic on me, so I had to replace it with a new MFD pickup from the G&L factory. It's a heavy bass man.

leegreenman likes this.
  8. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    Nice bass and shows a lot of soul. These are the best sounding bass ever in my book. I have held on to the '81 L-1000 that I bought new through financial situations thick and thin! Never will I sell it, and I hope it never gets stolen!

leegreenman likes this.
  9. Dluxe

Dluxe

Jan 9, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Love the mojo on the L1K! I've got a 1980 model with the large hex pickup just before they went with the slot head poles.

IMG_20171217_133136.

sourwookie and leegreenman like this.
  10. Still the best bass I ever owned. Mine was stollen out of my car in NYC back in the late 90s or early 2000s.

11. sourwookie

sourwookie

Jul 31, 2013
    Lovely!

Dluxe likes this.
  12. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

pretty neat! congrats on your "new" instrument! :thumbsup: