NBD - 1984-87 E series MIJ Fender P

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by whitelines, Aug 4, 2019.

1. whitelines

whitelines Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2014
    Salt Lake City
    I took a chance last week and ordered a black MIJ P from GC. Called the remote store and they said it was clean. Only glitch was someone scratched off the “made in Japan” text from the headstock. Checked the serial number and it was an E series which places it in the years 84-87. I’ll call it an 86 since that’s when I graduated from HS. Someone had also replaced the pick guard with an gold anodized aluminum one. $450 seemed like a good deal and the only risk was that I would not like it and be out 20 bucks for shipping when I returned it.
    It arrived three days later and I was not disappointed. Head not been played in years, the stings were tarnished and loose but after a new set of strings, a quick setup, and a cleaning, I had a beauty on my hands.
    Hardly a scratch on it, the quality of the paint job is impressive, no orange peel. Neck joint is super tight, fretwork is perfect. Though I’m sure the neck has a poly finish, it has an amber tone to it that I like. The shape of the neck is nice and comfortable. The rosewood is in good shape and just needed a little lemon oil to darken up. Tuner hardware looks a little tarnished, I have not decided if they are chrome or nickel yet. Took it apart and discovered the body is bass wood. Doesn’t bother me if the tone is great. I have not weighed the bass yet but I can tell it is not heavy at all.
    Played it at two rehearsals and loved it. Heard that this era of pickups were lacking so I decided to put in a GZR pup before my gig last Friday. That did not disappoint. Gig was going great until near the end my E started sound funky and out of tune. I look down and the nut had cracked and the end popped off so the E was flopping on the board. Tuned it up and played the rest of the gig with all my favorite notes except open E!
    She’s in the local repair shop now, gonna get a new nut and get plekked (if needed). So after a 3 day taste, we will be apart for a couple of weeks. Oh well, something to look forward to. Gotta decide if I want to go tort on this one anyway.
    Yeah, I know, no pics no bass. Here u go. Is there an 80’s MIJ club?

Attached Files:

tindrum, magic8161 and Tad like this.
  2. whitelines

Oct 26, 2014
    Salt Lake City
    Pics inline 83D8E7B7-5601-4225-929D-4935FE2DD024.jpeg FBB11F5A-318D-4492-9611-89F1150C3B0A.jpeg 267EC6F0-C7F3-4882-A248-ABA5D48BEB6B.jpeg

tindrum, magic8161, Tad and 1 other person like this.
  3. Mvilmany

Mvilmany

Mar 13, 2013
    Upstate NY
    My main bass is one of these. These are absolutely excellent basses.

magic8161 and whitelines like this.
  4. whitelines

Oct 26, 2014
    Salt Lake City
    Im really pleased so far. I’m thinking this might become my main gigging bass. More than nice enough to really enjoy, but not so valuable that I’m worried about it when out in the wild. I’ve got a fender select P that keep with flats on it, this will be my P with rounds, so it has it’s place in that respect too.

magic8161 and Tad like this.
  5. magic8161

magic8161 Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Milwaukee
    whitelines likes this.
  6. whitelines

Oct 26, 2014
    Salt Lake City
    Everyone gets lucky sometimes...

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021