1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD: 1984 Peavey Fury with Super Ferrite Pickup

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Riff Ranger, Jun 5, 2020.

1. Riff Ranger

Riff Ranger Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2018
    Bigfoot Country
  2. Riff Ranger

Mar 22, 2018
    Bigfoot Country
    The wide neck came as a bit of a surprise, as every other Fury I’ve encountered has had the narrow nut; but as those ‘90s necks have been an exception to my general preference for Precision-ish necks anyway, I certainly don’t mind.

3. These have always intrigued me. Congrats! If I had this one I’d get a white pickguard to give some contrast to that pickup; there’s something so cool about an angled pickup!

Monterey Bay-ss likes this.
  4. Riff Ranger

Mar 22, 2018
    Bigfoot Country
    I do also have a black ‘90s model with a white pickguard … that I want to replace with almost anything else, haha. Different strokes, man :laugh:

5. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    MCF and Monterey Bay-ss like this.
  6. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 14, 2011
    Sales Development Manager NN Inc. - Polymet, USA manufacturer of fret wire
    Awesome! Congrats! The slant Fury itch is real.

loendmaestro and Riff Ranger like this.
  7. Riff Ranger

Mar 22, 2018
    Bigfoot Country
    Is that clover green one still floating around? :laugh:

8. Runnerman

Mar 14, 2011
    LOL!!! My ash baby will keep me company.

9. Sad in a way that Mississippi Peaveys are desirable (but then again, his offshore stuff is not exactly cornering the market), but a nice find.

For the life of me though, why NO ONE has run with that idea of a pickup surround with the built-in thumbrest is just beyond me, a little genius touch that needs to continue somewhere.

Bill Whitehurst and Jamie_Funk like this.
  10. Riff Ranger

Mar 22, 2018
    Bigfoot Country
    Sad how?

The thumb rest certainly is a nice touch. I still find my thumb drifting to the pickup, but I have only had this for a day. I also play with a pick well over half the time, anyway. But somebody with huge hands playing fingerstyle would properly appreciate this thumb-rest-wide-neck arrangement instantly.

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  11. BB Brian

BB Brian

Apr 15, 2020
    West Texas
    The first guitar I ever fell in love with... July, 1983, Guitar Magazine. Sheet music for Aqualung was inside. Also inside? An add for Peavey guitars. I think it had a Mantis and a Mystic on it. Fell in love with that red Mantis with black pickguard. I drew pictures of it, dreamed about it and begged my parents to buy it for me. Alas No dice. IKt would be 6 more years before I bought my first electric instrument and I stuck with the brand that made me fall in love with guitars, but it was a T-40 bass because no one in my circle played bass and I knew I could join a band right away. First amp was a Peavey. My second amp, first "real" amp with a head and a separate cabinet was a Peavey Mark IV with a 410 cab. I should probably find a nice Mantis on reverb just for grins. Maybe I can take it to my parents house and annoy them like they are afraid I would have if they had bought me a guitar. :roflmao:

Congrats on the wonderful Fury. It looks great. I hope she plays well for a long time to come.

Rabidhamster and Monterey Bay-ss like this.
  12. Riff Ranger

Mar 22, 2018
    Bigfoot Country
    Thank you! This one has clearly seen action over the past 36 years, so I hope I can do that honest wear some justice. Plenty of miles in, but plenty left.

This Fury seems like an altogether different animal from the ‘90s Furies—basically budget sleek Precision copies with skinny but substantial necks—that initially drew me in. This one feels more like a lean, stripped-down T-40 or T-45.

If I recall correctly, you were considering a new(er) long scale Jaguar for yourself? I probably recommended tracking down a ‘90s Fury in good shape on that thread, and still would. I have a serviceable beater that I will likely put up for sale soon, but even the gently used ones of that era regularly go for south of 200 USD. Relive the glory! :bassist:

funkinbottom likes this.
  13. BB Brian

BB Brian

Apr 15, 2020
    West Texas
    I might just have to!

14. Here in the St. Louis area, Peavey is ubiquitous. They have always made decent bass gear.
    Their P.A. gear is not bad. Seemed like every other band had SP 2’s.
    I’ve played t-40, dynabasses, and foundation basses. All pretty heavy.
    But since I started on a Ripper, felt normal to me!

15. Riff Ranger

Mar 22, 2018
    Bigfoot Country
    I did most of my gigging and recording with a first-run five-string Ibanez ATK (which I still have), so it would take a Peavey T-40 or Gibson Victory or something like that to make me balk at weight, but I certainly don’t mind that this thing seems comparable to my Precisions rather than my ATKs.

My beater ‘90s Fury came to me from a seller in Missouri, and definitely not from a smoke-free home! :cigar::cigar::cigar:

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  16. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    That was my very first bass, may have been a year or two older but those exact specs. I do agree that the integral thumb rest was money.

17. Well here in this area, a lot of people still smoke and as far as....dammit, while I was responding to the thread, my cigarette burned away!

18. View attachment 3856790

View attachment 3856793

View attachment 3856797 [/QUOTE]

What a great setup Black & Maple bass (the white edge around the pick guard finishes the look perfectly).The matching 2 x 15 cabs and head for me seal the deal, on a classic Peavey rig. I grew up with Peavey gear back in the 80's and never fully appreciated, just how good and well built their products where.
    Hope it serves you well :thumbsup::cool:.
    I'm just glad I came to my senses & bought my 86 Foundation, a couple years back that bass is a keeper.

19. Engineer_Josh

Engineer_Josh

Apr 26, 2016
    I have an ash body slant pickup Fury which pairs really well with EB cobalt flats. Enjoy!

20. Runnerman

Mar 14, 2011
    I have Chromes on mine which I like also. I can imagine Cobalt Flats would be gnarly.

The beauty of this first gen Fury is that it has the slimmed down body and all that I've seen are under 9 lbs. They were only made a couple years with the slant Super Ferrite. Fantastic basses all around.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 21, 2021