1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD - 1989 Carvin LB75 - Patience is a virtue!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bound'n'blocked, Aug 19, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Ok, lets back up a little bit to July...

This past July was my 50th birthday. That's kind of a big deal. My wife said I could get a new bass for my bday. I had been looking around a bit for something different. My normal bass is my Carvin B5, which I love dearly. It just gets the job done. Plays, sounds, feels, and looks great. Anything else is really going to have to greatly surpass it to get any real playing time. I had been looking around, and somehow ended up on the Guitar Center used gear page. I came across a 1989 Carvin LB75, white, Kahler bass trem, pointy horns and headstock for $399. And only about three hours from home! SCORE! The wife said ok. The next day my son and the band's guitar player planned to go to get it. But before I made the long trip, I thought maybe I should call and make sure they still had it and that it hadn't been sold and they just forgot to take the ad down. So I call and the sales guy goes and gets it off the wall. Nice guy! I'm asking questions about the condition of the bass, any dings? stuff like that. I finally ask what kind of shape the frets are in. He replies "oh, it's fretless". Poop. So that's that.

We spent the day driving around looking at pawn shops in the area, just seeing what was out there. Nothing I would pay money for. I thought, "Just wait, something will eventually show up that fits the bill. Dont buy something just to be buying something." So I looked around online from time to time. Things would come up but I didnt purchase anything.

Last night, bored, I checked out the GC used gear page again, and searched for Carvin basses. 24 hits. All had pictures except for one. A white Carvin LB75. $499. No other description but "very good condition". I thought "what are the chances it's the same one from July?".

This morning, I called the store. I asked the sales guy about it. The first question I asked was "does it have frets?" He said yes. WOO HOO! I asked if it had an inline headstock or a 3+2. He said inline. That makes it an 89-91. And its only an hour and a half away! I told the guy to hold it for me, Im on the way. So my son and I make the trip. money in hand. I get there and he gets it out of his office for me. There it is! The exact bass, minus the Kahler, but INCLUDING the frets! Perfect! I plug it in and it sounds great and plays as well as my B5, maybe a little better! Guy asks what I think, I say I'll take it!

Here it is! I'm blown away by my luck! Patience is truly a virtue.

BnB

(Edit: correct year of the bass in title)

full?d=1503186877.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
  2. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    First of all, welcome to AARP...we hope you enjoy your stay...:D

I'm a big fan of Carvins from that era and your new baby looks stunning for an '89. Congrats on obtaining it.

Play it in good health and enjoy.

bound'n'blocked likes this.
  3. 4-fingers

4-fingers

Nov 22, 2015
    Ontario Canada
    Great looking bass and a great story too. I turned 50 last year.....wife said get a bass but I resisted. Got a promotion a few months ago and rewarded myself with a new tube amp. Next large purchase will be on retirement!

Enjoy your new birthday bass and happy belated.

bound'n'blocked and ajkula66 like this.