1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD: 1989 Rickenbacker 4001V63

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ronaldpdbrandt, Jan 27, 2012.

1. ronaldpdbrandt

ronaldpdbrandt Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2011
    Suffolk County, NY
    I love Craigslist! I just had this delivered to me by the seller this morning. I wasn't really in the market for anything, but when I saw this deal on CL, I couldn't pass it up. I won't say the price, but I will say that it was far less than the average value of a V63. So, I sold my 1981 RIC 4003 to make room, and now this one is all mine!

Sorry about the grainy photos, but I couldn't wait to get home to my better camera!

IMG_0102.
    IMG_0104.
    IMG_0105.
    IMG_0107.
    IMG_0108.
    IMG_0109.

2. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Sweet!

3. bassman0221

bassman0221

Sep 30, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Lovely!

4. woodyng

woodyng

Dec 19, 2007
    Oregon coast
    that's a really nice one,almost looks like they used some of the fretboard material from a Chris Squire model....it seems pretty dark in your pictures. i had a '92 mg V63,which was really nice,but not quite the grail for me at the time....i bet this one comes a lot closer to MY ideal.....from what i've heard about this vintage....

so how's the neck and feel compare to your departing 4003?

5. DJJazzV

DJJazzV Gambling is illegal at Bushwood sir... Supporting Member

May 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Awesome!

6. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    beauty. congrats. i love my V63.

7. ronaldpdbrandt

Mar 3, 2011
    Suffolk County, NY
    Thanks, everybody! And yes, woodyng, its a much darker rosewood than was on my 4003, for sure. I just dropped it off at the shop to get a good setup. Now I'm itching to really see what it can do!

BTW, anybody have any thoughts on rounds vs. flats on this bass? I'd always played rounds until recently, but I just put DA Chrome flats on my P-bass, and I'm loving the heck out of them!

8. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i have TI flats on one of my rics (and i love 'em) and daddario stainless rounds on the other, and both basses sound great.

9. Flyingfrets

Flyingfrets

Dec 25, 2011
    Just starting to play my Ric again. Did a disassembly & cleaning last night & a setup this morning.

I keep flats on the violin bass & rounds on the Ric. Just that much more contrast in their sound & more tonal variation.

Congrats on the new Ric. She's a looker! Very McCartney...well, to my eye anyway.

10. D Bopp

D Bopp Supporting Member

May 26, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Very nice! I want to get another V63. Sold mine a while ago. Enjoy! Grab you a silver 4001 case if you can find one.

11. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    +1. mine came with the silver vintage case and i like more more than the new molded ones.

12. ronaldpdbrandt

Mar 3, 2011
    Suffolk County, NY
    I do think the silver case looks nice, but it doesn't make much difference to me, honestly. Thanks for the string suggestions, guys! I may try out the TI flats.

13. woodyng

woodyng

Dec 19, 2007
    Oregon coast
    ghs flat wounds are great, too,and available in a 40-100 gauge that works real well on ric basses. a lot of folks really like Chromes for a RIC,but they really don't sound like a flat wound string to me. of course RW strings sound fantastic,too....
    enjoy that bass!
    the only thing i don't like about the silver case is the lack of a body-shaped pocket,it seems like the ABS cases are better at securing the bass from movement within the case.

14. Btone

Btone

May 5, 2001
    Congrats and enjoy! GREAT deal! Mine is an '86, strung with TI flats. Love it.

L1080357.

15. ronaldpdbrandt

Mar 3, 2011
    Suffolk County, NY
    I ended up getting the DA Chromes, because they were familiar to me already, and I loooooooove the way they sound on this bass! Couldn't be happier.

16. loendmaestro

loendmaestro Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    A word of warning, I have a silver vintage case for my Montezuma Brown 4003 & since they're not form fitted like the standard one there is some movement of the bass inside of the case while in transit. So my bass has developed a very slight "case rash" on the butt end where a bit of the finish has been worn off. Placing an old t-shirt inside of the case has solved the problem, but the vintage style cases are actually more aesthetically pleasing than functional.

Blah, blah, blah....anyway, that is one sweet V63 sir! Congrats!!