1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD-1991 Alembic Essence

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RobBottom69, Aug 17, 2017.

1. RobBottom69

RobBottom69

Aug 2, 2012
    SF Bay Area
    I love my 6-string Epic, so I decided to get a 4-string since that is what I mostly play. It has some wear and mojo. There's some finger wear just above the E string between the pickups, a nice gash in top of the head stock, and it looks like the brass under the E string has come off from contact. The action is a little high, but not to bad. It sounds like a MOFO though. I really like the filter knob, and the pickups are so clean and articulate. The neck is super clean, didn't see much wear there at all.

b72K7w.jpg SR3pOA.jpg 6bJxKQ.jpg Jy41g2.jpg X6VHK2.jpg 0RQegE.jpg lcKYot.jpg gRpAnM.jpg Zs1HE3.jpg 0d6Pkr.jpg

2. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    Nice. Damn nice.

RobBottom69 likes this.
  3. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    Get it set up by a pro and enjoy!

RobBottom69 likes this.
  4. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    Alembic sob story up ahead. When i first started playing bass my local GC had an Epic anniversary edition on clearance sale. This was 1999-2000 ish, and i had no way to pay, but they wanted $999.00 for it! True story i swear. I often wonder where that bass ended up.

RobBottom69 likes this.
  5. FC Bass

FC Bass Alembic and Mesa/Boogie junkie

Jun 9, 2006
    Holland
    Very nice, congrats!

The truss rods cover has a clear coat on it, if you remove it (with something like scotch brite) you can buff it up and it will look like new. :)
    Same for the tailpiece, all other hardware should be without the clearcoat and will also look like new after a little tlc.

Some good tips on setup: Joey's Post on Setting Up Your Bass You should be able to get extremely low action without fretbuzz :)
    I would advise to get a tool set: Adjustment Key Sizes (Tools) and learn to do the setup yourself, that's the best way to get and maintain the setup you like.

RobBottom69 likes this.
  6. RobBottom69

RobBottom69

Aug 2, 2012
    SF Bay Area
    I lowered the bridge a bit and giving it a nice clean up. Love the Alembic pickups. I used my Epic at a gig a few weeks ago, the first time breaking it out live. I was using the 4x10 SWR and the 2x10 Aguilar and it was so articulate and punchy. I cut through the mix like a hot knife through butter. Too bad my recording was marred with wind noise.

7. RobBottom69

RobBottom69

Aug 2, 2012
    SF Bay Area
    Cool! I'll look into the buffering thing. I generally like to be hands on with my basses, but I've never done a truss rod adjustment. I'm worried I might screw it up, but it would be nice to find a decent tech on the peninsula and get the Alembics setup.

The bass seems well played though. I noticed a screw was missing on the battery plate, I'm thinking that's for easier access when playing live maybe?

8. FC Bass

FC Bass Alembic and Mesa/Boogie junkie

Jun 9, 2006
    Holland
    You'll need brute force to mess it up, nothing to worry about if you follow Yoey's post.

I would never change a battery during a show, the audience would go berserk if I did :D
    If you can, always bring a backup bass. (in 10+ years I only needed the backup once due to a broken string, but better save than sorry)
    It depends on how much you play, but I always change the batteries on my basses once a year (in December) With the exception of the Series I, which gets fresh batteries just before the show (if I play wireless)
    Never had one fail on me yet :)

The screws can be ordered from Alembic: Parts
    Don't use the webstore, call/email them directly. They have problems with the shipping cost on that site, you will pay a lot $$$ for shipping when ordering through the webshop. (though if you paid too much, they will refund)

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017