1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD #2 - Sterling by Music Man Ray34 Neptune Blue

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tubatodd, Mar 5, 2017.

1. tubatodd

tubatodd Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2004
    Birmingham, AL
    Second NBD of the week! :D:D:D

It's a new for 2017 Sterling by Music Man Ray34 with quilted maple top in Neptune blue burst.

I've owned 3 SBMM SUB series basses before. They were all solid basses for the price. This Ray34 is worth every penny of the price difference. The craftsmanship is outstanding.

DSC00254.JPG DSC00256.JPG

2. irjason

irjason In Memoriam

Nov 17, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Congrats on the new bass. I really like the blue!

3. MrMoonlight

MrMoonlight Bottom feeder

Sep 2, 2008
    Congrats on your new Ray. The finish looks great. Yeah, there's a world of difference between the SUB series and the standard SBMMs. Wish they'd bring back the SB14. That was a really nice bass.

Anyways, enjoy your new toy!

4. Resonance129

Resonance129

Feb 15, 2011
    Georgia
    Nice. I really like that blue on maple combo. I almost bought that very same bass a few days ago, but saw a great deal on a "demo bass" Ray34 in honeyburst on Reverb.com that I simply couldn't pass up. Should be here Wednesday :woot:.

Congrats!

5. Crusher47

Crusher47 Tattoo'ed Freak Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    Awesome, congrats!

6. Wicked G

Wicked G

Jan 19, 2017
    Hell Paso Texas
    Beautiful bass. The new Neptune Blue and Koa basses are absolutely stunning in person. Congrats.

7. Congrats! I just got the 5 string version a week ago! Amazing instrument!
    IMG_20170526_132936007. IMG_20170526_133016032.

tubatodd and Wicked G like this.
  8. 80jazz

80jazz

Jun 28, 2008
    Kansas
    I am curious; do pics even do that color justice?

9. AskBass

AskBass

Oct 9, 2016
    I prefer the amber. I want to get it replace it with while or maybe black pearl pickguard

10. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    God bless CNC machining. those things are great for a great price! purdy finish too.

11. tubatodd

tubatodd Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2004
    Birmingham, AL
    I still own the Ray34. I added a black Ray35 and a 2018 fiesta red SUB Stingray 4. There is definitely a quality difference between those series, but the SUB basses are still quite good.

Story:
    I brought my Ray35 and SUB stingray to a big band gig in June. I kept struggling with the Ray35 to be heard in the mix. I felt like I was being drowned out by the keys. Wonderful instrument. I just felt like I couldn't dial in what I needed in that particular setting. I switched to the SUB stingray for the second set. It was like that bass said "hold my beer. I've got this." The SUB is noticeably louder, but I don't think it was just volume that helped in that situation.

So, in short.......SBMM makes great stuff! :)