NBD 2000 Fender MIM P bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DavidEdenAria, Aug 11, 2017.

1. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Dec 13, 2013
    On a Hill
    So i put on layaway a pretty clean dark blue (violet?) MIM P bass, my first actual Fender P bass, so i am excited!

I've played several real ones from the 60's and 70's....this one seems resonant.

Anyone care to share info on specs or changes thru the years on MIM P basses.

This particular bass the neck seems very well done, no fret sprout, neck looks great.....not too heavy and i think its all original.

Ant thing specifically to look at that may need addressed?

My 04 MIM J Bass needed much fret work, mainly fret sprout,truss adjust and some crowning but it has turned out very well....it needs nothing imo and i am one to constantly want to tinker and change things LOL!

Only thing i may want to change out the white pickguard on the 2000 MIM P Bass.

Tort, black or mint pickguard on a dark blue (or violet body) or something else?

What is the violet blue called on the 2000 Fender P Basses?
    Glad to be a part of the Fender P ownership club finally....excited to get it home soon!

2. eJake

eJake

May 22, 2011
    New Orleans
    Pics??!!!

3. tjh

tjh

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota

... congrats on your new bass!! ... without going into great detail, in the MIM Standard line, there were not a lot of changes over the years, but there are four distinct 'eras' ... through the 90's to mid '01, they were primarily poplar bodied instruments, Strat style knobs on splined split shaft pots the norm, with serial # and MIM on front of headstock, the Jazz sported two neck size pups ...

... for '02 model year. Fender introduced the MIM Standard with alder bodies, and began using solid shaft pots and conventional knobs, still serial # and MIM on front of the headstock ... the Jazz began using conventional sized Jazz pups as well, still ceramic magnet ...

... for '06 model year, Fender began shielding body cavities, using medium-jumbo fret wire, and including a gig bag with the bass, headstock the same ...

... '08 was fairly significant year for MIM Standard changes, as Fender seemed to tighten up the attention to fit & finish, weights began to be more consistent, and the headstock was changed to Fender logo only to front, serial # and MIM to back, with a heavier tint to neck/headstock ... Fender also began offering maple fretboards on MIM Standards at this time, as well as the rosewood ...

... suffice it to say that there have been many color changes over the era's, as well as FSR's offered post '03, and even an anniversary model ('06)

... regarding your 2000 P color, quite likely 'Midnight Blue' ... that actually looked more purple than blue in a lot of light conditions ... Fender did offer a "Purple Metallic" in that time frame, but only on the American Standard guitars and basses in 1998 and 1999, but discontinued it prior to 2000 ...

Enjoy your new toy!!

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  4. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    california
    midnight blue

DavidEdenAria likes this.
  5. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Dec 13, 2013
    On a Hill
    Thanks!....wow poplar....that is the wood on my 89 USA Peavey Fury (P style but a J neck) and it sounds great.

Its Midnight Blue i would guess.

6. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    Congrats. On an instrument of that vintage, you may find that the "skunk stripe" on the back of the neck has lifted slightly from the surrounding maple. It's not a big issue on my '00 MIM Jazz – wasn't present when I purchased it new, but as the woods continued to age, it became evident.
    Midnight Blue Metallic, to be precise. I love that finish, but also dig Midnight Wine Metallic and Sage Green Metallic, which were also offered that year.

7. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Dec 13, 2013
    On a Hill
    Yeah...ive had that happen on several guitars.....only 1 or 2 were enough that i wound up carefully filing the area down just a bit in spots.

8. tjh

tjh

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    .. close enough, as I think we have the OP covered on his question ;)

That 2000 and just after time frame was a big transition for the MIM Standards, as I mentioned earlier, so there often is a bit of confusion that goes along with it ... the 2000 'model year', as well as the first half of '01 were carry over from the end of the 90's era as far as colors and specs ... from my notes, the Frontline officially called the MIM Standard paint codes of that ('00/'01) era as ... (06)Black, (32)Brown Sunburst, (73)Midnight Blue, (75)Midnight Wine, (80)Artic White ...

The transition that took place mid '01 introduced the colors you mention above ... for the '02 model year the colors offered for MIM Standards were Blue Agave, Brown Sunburst, Black, Sage Metallic and Midnight Wine ... the Blue Agave replaced the Midnight Blue at that point ...

Thanks for challenging my memory enough to make me check my notes ;)

hypercarrots likes this.
  9. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    Thanks for the clarification.

10. pappabass

pappabass Inactive

May 19, 2006
    Alabama !! Roll Tide
    I have a badassII bridge and EMG pickups on my P. I like the tone. Mine is black on black !

11. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Dec 13, 2013
    On a Hill
    Picked it up from layaway tonite!

Get it home, its got rounds with green silks, plug it in......almost exactly in tune....hard to believe.

First though, i pulled the white guitar knobs and installed chrome barrels, looks WAY better then the generic guitar knobs.

Plugged in to my Eden Metro thru a modded Acoustic 8x10, this thing has "thundering bottom end" with a LOT of punch....i am assuming its the original ceramic pickup.

NO dead spots, not at all too clanky even with the tone on 10....the action is pretty darn good overall,maybe a bit high...no issue with any noisy pots or output jack as well!

This is my first Fender P bass.....i own several other P types but the woods, electronics and neck are different on those.

The midnight blue body looks better without the cheesy generic white knobs.

I can live with the wbw pickguard for now, especially with the white knobs gone.

Next, i will pull the pickguard but i am fairly certain the bass is stock overall.

I am a happy camper......for now the rounds will stay! Great NBD indeed!!

12. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Hey, still no pics David! :)
    Seriously though, congrats and enjoy it- sounds like a great buy and will certainly be a perfect companion bass to your MIM Jazz Bass. You've got the daddy of em all.

13. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Dec 13, 2013
    On a Hill
    I promise to put up pics when i can!

For now i will pull the pickguard, and strings, then clean and polish the frets and a bit of mineral oil on the RW fretboard.

14. klejst

klejst

Oct 5, 2010
    You know how it goes around here...pics or we automatically assume you're full of it...:thumbsup:

15. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Dec 13, 2013
    On a Hill
    I know....wish there was an easy way to load pics from my cell....i need to get with the new century....LOL!

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021