1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD - 2003 MIM Fender Dirnt for $239.98 shipped to my front door?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ubnomnar, Apr 10, 2010.

1. ubnomnar

ubnomnar Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2009
    So Cal
  2. J-Building

J-Building

Jan 1, 2009
    At first I thought it was a Fender Mike Dirnt. Nope, not too good to be true. Sounds like you're getting what you paid for.

3. That is a fender no star on the body , small star on neck plate, badass bridge , flat top not round knobs, fender marked tuners.

wow thats sweet , i am jealous because an hour ago i was looking for one of these on ebay and a typed into the search engine "dirnt bass" thats did not show up i am guessing because of the title, otherwise i would have bid on that

Lucky , lucky :)

4. MohawkHarry

MohawkHarry Supporting Member

May 21, 2000
    Chatham,IL
    I looked that sucker over too, but it just wasn't what I was looking for.

5. ubnomnar

Dec 28, 2009
    So Cal
  6. J-Building

J-Building

Jan 1, 2009
    I took another look at the listing, and wow was I wrong. Looking at pictures really is better than the title listing. I say that was more than a steal, because used MIM P basses are turning up for more than this. I'd say you should flip this and earn an easy $300.

7. ubnomnar

Dec 28, 2009
    So Cal
    I guess I'm fortunate you're not a "Dirnt" bass fan. I'm not a fan of Mike Dirnt. But, I am a fan of modern retro 50's style Fender basses. I've been looking for a great deal on a Dirnt for over 6 months...and I think this is the one.

I also just picked up a mint Classic Vibe 50's P-Bass on the local Craigslist for net $180. I really like the CV 50's look, sound and feel.

I think the Dirnt will go well with my CV 50's P-Bass, Hoppus Jazz, Highway One Jazz, 92 Korean Squire Precision, and SX P-Bass.

Gas is a pain... I think I need to thin the herd.:D

8. ubnomnar

Dec 28, 2009
    So Cal
    FedEx dropped of the "Dirnt" a few hours ago.

I unpacked it... and I am stoked:D

It is indeed a Fender Dirnt Precision in excellent condition.

As with any bass that is "new to me," I did a top to bottom check...removed the neck, checked/adjusted the truss rod, photographed the neck pocket/base of the neck, and removed the pickguard. The pickguard was indeed warped, as the seller had specified...but after 10 minutes with a hair dryer, a cold metal desk, a heavy book, and a few strips of Scotch removable poster tape... the pickguard is now PERFECT:p

The top of the body is virtually mint. The back of the body has a few small scuffs. Overall, excellent gloss black paint.

The fingerboard and back of the neck are absolutely ding/scratch free. The very top flat edge of the headstock has a few shallow scratches...very minor.

This bass sounds full and punchy. I'm looking forward to fitting it with a set of Chromes or TI Jazz Flats.

I am really super happy with this bass...especially for a total cash outlay of $239.98:hyper:

9. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    It's nice that this WASN'T a Squier.

Major fail for the seller!

Good catch!

I really wanted one of these when they came out, but the ones I looked at from the same shipment were just too rough. I'm sure that some MIMs were OK, but this batch wasn't and it kind of spoiled it for me.

They were also awfully heavy.

10. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    I hate you

11. GREAT Score!!! HA ha good to see the 'other way round' goes sometimes. I often see ppl selling Squiers as "fenders'' . Congrats!!!

12. steveinohio

steveinohio

May 27, 2007
    These are super cool. They do seem to be pretty heavy. Still I like them a lot.

13. DTF

DTF

Feb 14, 2010
    queens
    picked up a new1 from best buy about a month ago for 399.00 18 mos. interest free at a scratch and dent sale , but it wasnt scratched or blemished just a small 1 cm rub mark on the back , I love the feel of the neck on this thing and it sounds great, its too nice to sell , good score

14. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    Nice deal! Leave it to an eBay seller to list a Fender as a Squier, lol.

15. ubnomnar

Dec 28, 2009
    So Cal
    It's definitely my heaviest bass @ 10 lbs. 10 ozs. It feels really robust and solid, with a quality heft to it. I don't gig, so weight is not a concern.

As for being "too rough," the fit and finish strike me as average for an MIM, but then again I've only owned 3 MIMs. The neck even has some flame to it.

I had an 02 CIJ Geddy Lee but sold it because the neck was too thin. I have an 09 MIA Highway One bodied "Jazz" I assembled from parts... and the body is the lowest quality part... but it's still my favorite bass (because of the birdseye maple Warmoth neck).

I'll get a good "feel" for this Dirnt over the next couple weeks, and if it doesn't make the "keepers" list, I still stand to make at least $100 if I move it on:cool:

16. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Well, glad to see my senses weren't deceiving me about the weight thing. I'm a geezer and have about ten nice basses I never play simply because of weight. :(

Did you note the number of the pickup set while you were in there? Color of leads?

It's sort of a mystery exactly what these have in them. The description has changed a couple of times.

17. MPica

MPica

Feb 13, 2010
    I didn't even know they made MIM Dirnt's, thought it was a Squier only thing :eek:
    Congrats on such a good deal.

18. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Nah, Fender predated it by a long time -- introduced in January of '04.

19. splitcoilsenior

splitcoilsenior

Jan 18, 2009
    I knew you'd say that :eek: