1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD - 2006 Precision Deluxe

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cavemanbass, Jan 4, 2018.

1. cavemanbass

cavemanbass

Nov 5, 2010
    Saw this bass at GC online, and had it shipped to their Emeryville store. In this case "New" as in "NBD" really does mean "new".... this ax has never been played even though it's 12 years old. Not a ding, scratch or other sign of wear anywhere on the bass, with exception of the pickguard at the truss rod adjustment opening. Someone, at some point, adjusted the truss rod (which btw is not great - would prefer headstock adjustment location). No other setup had been done on the bass - intonation, nut, height of saddles all needed adjusting. The truss rod also required a minor tweak but the neck came into perfect relief easily. Frets appear to be perfectly leveled, no buzz anywhere even with low action.

Original case candy is all there - strap, cable, cleaning cloth, owners manual, and special truss rod tool. Even the cellophane covering the pickguard was completely intact. Lest you think - as did I - how cool is that... the adhesive had gummed up and the cello turned very fragile. Took me a couple hours to scrape the cello off, and Goo Gone to clean up the gummy residue.

Haven't had a chance to play the bass much yet... first impressions - sounds like a P bass! Even though it's active and there is no passive mode. That is the sound I was looking for, though I'd prefer a passive setup given the option. The humbucking bridge pickup has a unique sound, I'm looking forward to trying it in a band context. With other PJ basses I mostly use just the P and occasionally dial in a bit of J if I need more definition. But on this bass I might use the bridge pickup solo, it's got a very fat sound (and very high output). BTW does not sound like a MM in case someone is wondering, the pickup position is too far toward the bridge to get that tone (besides which the pickup itself is way different from a MM).

Weight is 8.8lbs, balance is very comfortable I'm sure in part due to the lightweight and very smooth tuners. The neck is pretty much a standard P shape as far as I can tell - much like my 71 P - not overly fat, nice solid feel.

My only concern at this point is that the pole pieces on the P pickup stand out from the pickup cover by maybe 1/16" or so. Maybe that is a vintage style thing? My '71 P bass has flush pole pieces, as do my other Fenders. The pole piece under the G string tends to snag my plucking finger when I'm anchoring my thumb on the P pickup... which is a lot of the time; and touching the pole piece makes an annoying little buzz. I might try a '63 Pure Vintage that I was going to put into another bass, see if that fares better. Interestingly that pickup also has slightly protruding pole pieces (I had not noticed that until now), though much less then the one on the Deluxe. I'd be interested to hear from other users if they find this to be an issue for them, and how they have dealt with it. I guess back in the day, the pickup cover would have prevented someone from touching the pickup so I could change my right hand position...

Attached Files:

zbigniew and el jeffe bass like this.
  2. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Those pole pieces are adjustable, just be very careful moving them.