1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD: 2007 Gibson SG Bass Supreme Natural

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Simon Langley, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Simon Langley

Simon Langley

Jun 19, 2007
    Chico, CA
    Been gassing over one of these since they were first released and finally getting my hands on one. Not actually in my hands yet but I didn't want to wait to post it. My first favorite bass was a 1969 EB-0 that my guitar mentor had (which I now own:). Not everyone's cup of tea for sure but I love 'em. The body shape, the short scale, the sound, the super fast neck. When I saw this wood combination I knew I had to have one.

2. Simon Langley

Simon Langley

Jun 19, 2007
    Chico, CA
    Well that's just awesome. NBD and I can't even post a pic. Not sure if I should blame Apple or TB but when I try to add a pic from my iPad and hit upload it does absolutely nothing. I know as well as anybody that no pic = no new bass. Really should get this figured out guys.

3. Simon Langley

Simon Langley

Jun 19, 2007
    Chico, CA
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass1381464891.242666.
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass1381464916.839282.

Ok cool. Am able to upload from the iPhone app just not the iPad. Weird. Well, there she is. Can't wait to get my hands on her.

And to all the haters who will say these aren't my good for slapping and sound like a bucket of mud i also have one of these....

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1381465094.739525.

Got to have options. :)

4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    That bass looks good in that color! Enjoy!

5. hsech

hsech Work hard. My Social Security needs a raise. Gold Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2012
    Central Iowa
    My SG isn't that pretty, but they are cool basses. I used mine on a gig last weekend and at practice tonight. Slap a Gibson...... naw.... go slap your mama. If you think a Gibson is too muddy then you don't know how to adjust an amp.

6. Simon Langley

Simon Langley

Jun 19, 2007
    Chico, CA
    Personally, I like to wallow in the mud. :hyper::hyper:

7. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Oh my....
    attachment.

8. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

Jan 22, 2012
    Garner, NC
    i honestly cannot tell, is the hardware chrome or gold?? each picture seems to tell a different story.

Beautiful bass, really. Black speed knobs are throwing me off a little, perhaps some amber ones would look better?? :)

9. Nobody

Nobody Banned

Jul 14, 2004
    gravel
    That looks AWESOME!! Congrats!

10. Wow. I really have never liked the look of a Gibson bass, especially an SG, but that looks great. I am quite impressed. I would agree with "wild4oldguitars" and suggest amber speed knobs.

Congrats!!!

11. Here's mine.

[​IMG]

I have to say mine sounds brighter than the usual EB-3 type because of the top.
    The hardware and pickups will all be chrome. Light as a feather, too.

12. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    +1 on all of the above...

- georgestrings

13. Simon Langley

Simon Langley

Jun 19, 2007
    Chico, CA
    Yeah, amber speed knobs sound like a good match. Maybe les Paul style?

14. Simon Langley

Simon Langley

Jun 19, 2007
    Chico, CA
    Nice action shot. Hope to have one of my own soon.

15. gustobassman

gustobassman I'm only here for the after party.. Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Sandy Eggo
    That is pretty sharp! That may be the only Gibson bass i wouldn't mind having. Congrats!

16. ih8law

ih8law

Aug 8, 2009
    Houston, TX
    DSC_0263-1_zps66cf91f5.

I love my SG Supreme. I am tempted by the comments above to try amber speed knobs.

The only mod i have done to my SG was to add the bridge bar to keep the string wraps off the saddles.

IMG_0713_zps8cf490cb.

IMG_0712_zps0a94e377.

17. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I had the mod bar on my brown sg. I don't know about the increased volume and sustain it's supposed to provide but it lets you use strings with ball end silks so you have more options. It did ever so slightly improve intonation also.

18. Congrats to all the SG supreme owners up there. That bass was Guitar of the week number 1 in that series from 2007. I have a blue money bass from that year that rocks. You almost never see any of the week 18 SG Supremes in the Fire burst finish. Those were hot! pun intended ;)
    http://www.mygibsonbass.com/id5.html

19. hsech

Jun 27, 2012
    Central Iowa
    Is that a long scale or short scale SG? Mine is short scale and I love it. Works great when the band doesn't have much space on the stage or corner of the dance floor. Pair the short scale with a Markbass CMD112P Combo and ext cab and it shines and has a small footprint.

20. hsech

Jun 27, 2012
    Central Iowa
    I put a Hipshot Gold Tone bridge on my SG bass. I think because of the increased body contact and heft of the Hipshot I get better tone and sustain.