1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD: 2012 American Standard Precision

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by neren, Jul 21, 2012.

1. neren

neren

Jun 5, 2012
    Eugene, Oregon
    I decided to pull the trigger on both a new combo amp (Acoustic B200) and a brand spankin' new MIA Precision in black+maple. Super excited about both, but especially the bass.

Looks: I know lot of people like the "boutique bass"-ish aesthetics, with the unique body shapes and natural finishes and fancy spalted or flame maple tops. That's all well and good, nothing wrong with it at all, but I guess I'm a man of much simpler taste. To me, a P-bass in this color is the most beautiful instrument in the world. I especially love the gloss finish on the fretboard.

Feel: The fretwork is perfect and the neck is smooth, fast and comfortable. This baby is rather light at around 8 lbs. I got Glenn Freese in Ashland, OR to set it up for me and now it feels perfect. Glenn is a great guy and I would highly recommend him to anyone in the Southern Oregon area (email him at justapicker@charter.net).
    Unrelated anecdote: while he was working he let me play his old Martin acoustic guitar that he restored himself. Hands down the best guitar I've ever played in my life. I swear just holding it made me a better musician.

Sound: Fantastic. It's got all the booming low-end and punchy, growly attitude you would expect from a P-Bass. I love this Custom Shop '60s pickup! The tone this bass produces is just so rich and has so much depth. A+.

This is the bass I've always wanted, and with all the wonderful things I've heard about 2012 Fenders, this seemed like a perfect time to get one. I'm totally in love with this instrument. I look at other basses and feel nothing anymore, my G.A.S. has been temporarily eradicated. :hyper:

Finally, here are some pics: http://imgur.com/a/pquzT#0 Hope you like it as much as I do :bassist:

2. back2thefuture

back2thefuture

Aug 26, 2011
    Austin
    congrats man! beautiful bass. a black/white/black pick guard would really make it POP.

i'm with you. give me a classic Fender over flame tops and bird's-eye maple any day. less is more.

3. RootNoteRadical

RootNoteRadical

Dec 8, 2011
    Cool lookin' combo! I love BLACK, and a 15 inch combo - SWEET!

4. Jwood

Jwood Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Richmond, Va
    Very good looking set up you got there! Congrats!

5. FunkRenegade

FunkRenegade

Jul 7, 2012
    Congrats. Can you confirm if the newer pickups are indeed "custom shop" or just rebadged '62 originals?

6. I've got an 09 version but I'm tempted to get a 12 version in white/maple....

7. RaginRog

RaginRog Last guy you want to see is Employee Relations guy

Nov 29, 2009
    Formerly Staten Island
    Congrats...I still love my 2008 black and maple American Std P bass, although nothing is original on it...it was still a fine bass when it was stock.

8. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Congrats on a great bass! Love my 2010 P-V, my 2002, & my borrowed '74.

They never grow old, they just get better.

9. neren

neren

Jun 5, 2012
    Eugene, Oregon
    Thanks! Yeah, a lot of people seem to like the black on black look best. I think it looks cool too but the white on black just really does it for me :)

Same here! I'm pretty thrilled with this amp: lots of tonal options, plenty of volume, and it was $200 brand new!

Thanks, I appreciate it!

Thanks :) I don't have a definitive answer for you but based on what I've read I believe it actually is "custom shop" and not a rebadged '62 original. Either way, it sounds amazing. Rumbles like roar of a lion and punches like the growl of a tiger. :bassist:

I wouldn't advise against it. :D Played an '11 at GC and it felt and sounded awesome, but this '12 is something else... I've heard good things from people with '09s as well, how do you like yours?

And white + tort + maple = SEXY.

Thanks! I'm curious, what mods have you made to your '08?

You said it! Considering the awesome year Fender is having quality-wise, I'm hopeful that if I take good care of this bass, 20 years from now people will be saying "Oh my god! You have a 2012 P-Bass?!" ;)

10. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Black can look good with just about any p/g. Another option that works for me is tort p/g on black. Either way that is one sweet looking bass. Congrats! Now go play the heck out that bass!

11. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Congrats - looking good!!!

- georgestrings

12. Plus one, definitely after white/tort.

My 09 Sunburst/Tort/Rosewood is a totally amazing P bass. I've owned and tried a fair few, and this one is really special. Light, resonant, beautiful burst, dark slab of rosewood, and very well made.

I've tried a fair few between 09 and 11 and found some dogs, but now the 12's have a new pickup, it might be time to add the maple board version I've been after.

One strung with flats and the tone rolled off a little, one strung with rounds, full on tone, played with a pick for that grindy rock tone.

13. neren

neren

Jun 5, 2012
    Eugene, Oregon
    Thank you!

Oh man, sunburst+tort is just about the classiest look a bass can have if you ask me.

I bought this one sight unseen with the thought that if I got a lemon, I could return it within 30 days. Luckily, after getting it set up it is so much fun to play and sounds awesome. I love P-basses!