1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD: 2012 Sterling by Music Man Ray34

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Haans, Jun 28, 2017.

1. Haans

Haans Altruistic nihilist Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2005
    Bergen, Norway
    So, I have an auto-search for cheap basses in my area, and yesterday this baby popped up. I assumed it was a SUB since the asking price was $180, but told the seller I'd come by this morning to have a look. Nice guy, just wanted to get rid of it because of too many basses (??) and a newly acquired P. Naturally, I left with the bass in hand. I've been looking for an OLP for a while (for some reason I got rid of the one I used to have), but never thought I'd end up getting this for more or less what I sold my OLP for 8 years ago. And I do love honey burst.

Pristine condition, looks almost unplayed. I had to loosen the truss rod a bit as the strings were buzzing all over, but now it plays great. Came with a Hipshot detuner which I'll probably never use, but nice touch. Hope to hook it up tonight to try out all the knobs - I usually never touch the knobs even on my Jaguar (except to make sure they're full throttle), so I'll have to try and make sense of the boost/cut thingamajigs. Anything I should know?

DSC_0080.JPG

2. Inara

Inara Fretless Femme Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2017
    Seattle, WA USA
    What a steal! These are great basses, and that one is gorgeous. My primary bass is a Ray34 CAFL (classic active fretless lined). It has a Nordstrand pickup, and it plays and sounds as well or better than anything I've ever owned or tried, regardless of price. I can't help much on the EQ, though, as mine has the 2-band. I've owned 3-band Stingrays, but not since about 2007, and any memory of how I worked that EQ has faded.

Congrats! Awesome deal on an awesome bass - I hope it serves you well!

Haans likes this.
  3. Crusher47

Crusher47 Tattoo'ed Freak Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    Great deal! Congrats!

4. Haans

Haans Altruistic nihilist Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2005
    Bergen, Norway
    Thanks. Just dawning on me what a steal this really was. They used to sell for well north of US prices over here.

Inara likes this.
  5. What a steal! It even has a D-tuner. Enjoy!

Haans likes this.
  6. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Even at double that price it would've been a great deal.

7. Badwater

Badwater

Jan 12, 2017
    Excellent SCORE............