NBD..2013 Fender American Deluxe Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by J Gold, Jul 13, 2013.

1. J Gold

J Gold Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Houston,TX
    This is probably the 12th Jazz bass I've owned, but I tried this line out a few times and really thought about it before purchasing..it was too pretty, and I got a good deal from AMS, so I couldn't resist!

Just swapped out the stock strings for Rotosound 66LCs...will intonate and check the neck later today, and I have a church gig then a rock rehearsal tomorrow, so I'll take it through the paces...so far, feels awesome, wide but thin-ish neck, looks like solid construction..no flaws I can find.

If I don't like the spacing, will consider a Hipshot A, but so far it feels good.

Tone report to follow...

2. fusionbassed

fusionbassed

Jul 11, 2013
    Sacramento
    Very nice!

3. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

I love the new Deluxes. Great basses IME.

Congrats.

4. I've been GASin' for one of these. Great basses! Congrats.

5. J Gold

J Gold Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Houston,TX
    I had the 2009 model..24 fret, narrow board, thin sound...this is much better...

6. There's one at my local GC that I can't stop playing. I'm usually a P-Bass guy, but....

7. I'm a die-hard rosewood guy and not even a fan of block inlays, but I have to say this particular color scheme is very appealing visually.

8. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    Love those basses but did they fix the buzz from lack of shielding? I returned my 5 string because of that....everything else about the bass was very nice though.

9. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    Ask them to cut the price for you, since it’s now a “well-used” instrument. ;)

10. J Gold

J Gold Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Houston,TX
    So far AMS has beaten every price I've seen..I've ordered from them 6 times in the last few months...

11. J Gold

J Gold Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Houston,TX
    Electronics sound good, no noise, I'm used to a little more 18v power, but I can get my Geddy sounds, so I'm happy.

The A string was buzzing, and sounding slightly dead on frets above 7..re intonated, checked saddles, truss, even a tried a fresh string...finally decided the nut slot was too low for the strings I use..in a pinch, used a business card and it worked immediately. I may want to fill the slot a little..I fear replacing the nut will be complex due to the binding.

Still, it's a nice bass...may opt for a better preamp eventually....

12. bassdood

bassdood

Jun 15, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    So how is the tone? Can you get really thick lows? Beefy thump? Do you get the best lows in active or passive mode?

13. J Gold

J Gold Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Houston,TX
    For me, the tone is just ok..with the mids down, I get the thumping blues sound, and turning it up gives me the growl and Geddy tone I like..I find the high to be too thin, I usually leave it down unless there's a run I need to cut through.

I'm still trying to find the sweet spots in the eq on this bass. I've been seriously considering an onboard eq with more mid control, or at the very least a preamp pedal.

The passive sound is ok, but too mellow for me.

The volume pot doesn't have much sensitivity...from about 1 to 7 o'clock, its too quiet, and from 8 to 10 is where I seem to stay..

My current gig set up is a 1000 watt hartke, running at only 8 ohms through an Avatar 410 cab, and various effects...the 3 carvin basses I have get a lot more power and tonal flexibility, FYI.

14. DirtyDuke

DirtyDuke Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 13, 2012
    guelph ontario
    Partner Southampton Pedals, Partner CCP
    Picked up the new white blonde jazz and absolutely love it!!!!!!!!:hyper: