1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD - 2017 American Pro Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 73BLow, Nov 25, 2017.

1. 73BLow

73BLow Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2017
    Central MA
    AmPro17deux. AmPro17.

I needed something that matches my floor :D. Everybody has seen these, so not much to say. Brand new, $300 off, I like it, so I bought it.

It's set up pretty well, except the action is too high for me. I think I'll go restring it with Super Bright nickels and set it up to my liking now.

2. Crusher47

Crusher47 Tattoo'ed Freak Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    Congrats!

3. 73BLow

73BLow Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2017
    Central MA
    Thanks, I traded my 2015 Am. Std. towards it. I spent some time playing both back forth at the store through the same Rumble 500 combo set flat. Now that I have it set up to my liking, here are some thoughts...

Pickups - 2015's CS60's vs. the 2017's vmods:
    To my ears, the output sounded the same. The vmods have slightly less growl than the CS60's, but otherwise I think they are pretty close. The vmods are not noiseless (a little less hum than the CS60's).

Frets - 2015 medium jumbo vs Pro's tall narrow:
    I like the feel of the tall narrow a little better. Sound-wise, longer slides on the medium jumbos sounded better. Sliding from the 5th to the 12th (the ol' Come Together test :)), I seemed to lose quite a bit of volume by the time I got to the 12th fret. I am hoping this is just a little technique adjustment needed for me.

Fluted Tuners:
    Nice to have, but I'm not sure I'll be able to discern a difference in sustain. Better tuning stability is TBD.

Neck:
    I like the feel of the neck better. The 2015 had a more glossy finish and I like satin finish on the Pro better. It's just faster for me.

Aesthetically, I really like the natural finish ash and gloss maple fretboard. I didn't put it on a scale, but it feels a little lighter than the older alder one. I don't have complaints about fit and finish. I had bought the 2015 used and there were a couple little things that just seemed off to me. I wanted a brand new one that I could wear in on my own for many years to come and now I have it.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  4. mesaplayer83

mesaplayer83

Jun 27, 2017
    Very nice - congrats!!!

5. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

nice looking ax! congrats on your new instrument! :thumbsup: