1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD - 2019 Squier Classic Vibe 70's Jazz Bass Observations

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Quadzilla, May 7, 2019.

1. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Just got this. Upon getting it, gave her a thorough looking over. Good build quality and assembly, straight neck, decent (not, stellar) fretwork, crap hardware.

Some additional detail....

Finish and paint work, excellent. Tight neck pocket. Pretty level frets, but I found two which needed a little attention (took about 10 minutes). Minor filing and polish. Also gave the neck one thing shim at the bottom of the pocket for optimal neck angle (I do this for many of my basses).

Electronics sound very good. A bit on the vintage side. More 60's jazz vs 70's jazz to my ears.

Bridge is a P.O.S.. I had an old BA II laying around so I put that on her. Tuners hold tune, but turn slightly rough, so I'll replace those in time.

Got the action down low and she plays and sounds great. She's fairly light too. I'll weigh her, but I'm guessing 8 1/2 to 9 lbs.

A couple of interesting things to note:
    Mine came with D'Addario strings (felt like 45-105). Took them off in favor of some 100's. The bass seemed to prefer those.
    Also, when I pulled the protective plastic off of the pickguard, control plate, etc, I pulled off the knobs. I noticed that the knobs took a standard (US) sized allen wrench vs metric. They must use U.S. spec knobs on these.

Anyway, all in all, a great bass for the money. Replace the hardware and you have a fine, gigging machine!

IMG_20190507_215016__01.jpg IMG_20190507_215021__01.jpg IMG_20190507_215102__01.jpg IMG_20190507_215041__01.jpg

2. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

By the way, I'm going to order new bridge saddles for the BAII. The previous owner of the bridge cut the saddles in the wrong place (as you can see in the pictures).

3. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi Quadzilla :)

A Squier? Not a SX? Gear snob! :roflmao:

Can' t be true! :D (AFAIK Only Fenders need a filing!) :laugh:

Happy NBD buddy!!!

greetings

Wise

JRA likes this.
  4. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Mike Lull GK Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass
    I have modded these basses over the years and they were fun little workhouses...Still have one.

5. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

that black certainly has a great look! nice job on the 'tweaks' and change-outs. congratulations on your new instrument! :thumbsup:

6. MVACCARO

MVACCARO

Dec 15, 2013
    NC
    Nice bass happy playing

7. Wow..she looks mighty fine!! Amazing how they can produce a quality bass and at a fraction of the big name one.

8. bhendrix

bhendrix

May 2, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Black and maple...:drool:
    Congrats! Beautiful bass!

9. 4001

4001 Inactive

Sep 29, 2004
    Lake County, IL
    Nice!

I'm getting a natural finish one and I'm also getting a CV77 Jazz Bass... I'm swapping the necks...then I'm selling the CV77 body with the new CV 70's black block neck...

I have plans for the custom Squier 70's Jazz Bass I will have in a month or two....

Enjoy that bass. Any other version of that would be a lot more $$..

Last edited: May 11, 2019
  10. MorrisonRock

MorrisonRock

Apr 11, 2019
    Brazil
  11. I’ve recently started GAS’n for a Jazz V with 70’s pickup spacing to turn into a sort of Marcus Miller - type bass (I absolutely loved the Original MM signature Fender V’s)
    I actually have a set of pickups from his Fender Sig V as well as a Rudy Pensa 2-band preamp (circa 1997; boost-only Bass, boost/cut Treble, modded with a passive tone control always in the circuit) just itching to go into a Jazz. I thought about doing a Warmoth build, but that would cost me way more money than I can actually spend. These would be the next best thing.

I have a natural VMJV and a Frankenstein jazz with an Affinity body/VMJV neck. I have to say that the VM necks are some of the most stable I have ever seen/played. The Frankenstein has been in my work-truck for about 3 years now, 24-7/365, and I haven’t touched the truss rod in over a year. If the new CV’s come from the same factory as the VM’s, I know it will be great.

12. snowblinder

snowblinder

Jun 16, 2008
    Wisconsin
    I have a question for the OP: I have this exact bass and would like to replace the stock bridge with a Badass II or the nearly identical Fender Hi-Mass. Did the holes line up or did you have to fill the original holes and re-drill?

13. MCLemonyfresh

MCLemonyfresh

Jan 21, 2021
    OP, did you ever replace the tuners and if so, with what? Did you have to machine new holes? Thanks in advance.

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021