1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD - 5 String plunge

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Doctor_K, Dec 13, 2017.

1. Doctor_K

Doctor_K Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2013
    Western NY
    Time to jump in the "deep" end on the pool.......
    My first 5 string. Made a good deal with a trade in.
    My modding senses are on overload.
    Any recommendations on pickups. I understand the 5 string jazz world is different.
    Squier_VM_Jazz_V.

TolerancEJ and eastcoasteddie like this.
  2. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie Supporting Member

Nice score! I have the natural finish version, probably the most comfortable Jazz V I have ever played. I absolutely love the neck profile.

The pickups that came in mine were much less than perfect. I went with Duncan SJ5-3 (quarter pound) pickups for the hi-output and huge sound. If you are looking for a more vintage tone, the Duncan 67/70 pickups (1962 Jazz tone) are more up your alley. A relatively new pickup for SD is the Apollo Hum-Cancelling, which sound great from the samples I see on YouTube.
    DiMarzio doesn’t seem to be in the Jazz V market like they are in the 4-string market with Area J, Ultra J, etc.
    But several manufacturers like Aguilar and Nordstrand make lots of pickups for the Jazz V that are phenomenal, single coil or hum-cancelling...depends on how thick your wallet is...

Zoobiedood likes this.
  3. Resonance129

Resonance129

Feb 15, 2011
    Georgia
    Very nice. I did the exact same thing for my "plunge" into the 5-string realm, just with the natural finish. Of the 3 colors available, the natural finish was my least fav, but the bass feels and sounds great for the price. Definitely need to upgrade from the stock pickups, so I got no real-world experience with other jazz pickups to make a recommendation. But it's a great starter 5-string, regardless. Congrats.

4. Crusher47

Crusher47 Tattoo'ed Freak Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    Very cool, Congrats!