"NBD"... 5 string Saga MB-10

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Spidey2112, Oct 15, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Less than a week ago, I spoke to a rep from Saga, informing him that I was interested in the MB-10. Regrettably, he told me that particular model had been discontinued. He was nice enough to check online, finding Amazon to have one more in their 'always correct' inventory. I know, I know... when stock is listed as, 'One More', you're fighting against time. It didn't help that I was unconscious for at least 10 minutes, after falling down the stairs to get to the computer. I dusted myself off, logged on, threw it in my 'cart', waiting patiently for confirmation that it was indeed on it's way. Snag, she finally arrived!

IMAG1226.jpg

Ain't she a beaut?

IMAG1227.jpg

I couldn't wait to try her out, so I plugged in to my amp...

IMAG1228.jpg

... then, I plugged the cable into the MB-10, and...

IMAG1229.jpg

... nothing. No volume, no tone, no feedback... nothing. If anyone has suggestions, I would really appreciate them, as I really don't need this type of aggravation, at this time of the year...

... It's not like I'm going to troubleshoot this when football is on. Thanks for the help!

pc, B-Mac, HertzWhenIPlay and 14 others like this.
  2. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I was going to ask if my big hands made it look smaller, then I remembered all of those first dates, that stayed first dates... and accidentally hit, 'Post Reply'.

Duder and RobertUI like this.
  3. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Now that's the kind of dedication this forum, and the world needs. Stellar effort!

Spidey2112 likes this.
  4. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Mellow, I've always found myself shooting for the stars, as I've never really liked anything that comes out of Hollywood...

Duder likes this.
  5. I-Am-The-Slime

I-Am-The-Slime

Jan 8, 2010
    SW VA
    Are you sure the amp is plugged in? If I had a dime...

comatosedragon likes this.
  6. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I thought it was... I'll check, again. Yep... here's the chain:

1. Wall outlet to amp, with amp 'On'
    2. Cable from amp 'Input' to MB-10 guitar input... located... on... the... new... box... as... seen... in... pic... #... 4.
    How did you want your dime?

1. 1 dime
    2. 2 nickel
    3. 10 pennies
    I think Sgt. Hulka said it best... "Lighten up, Francis."

Inky13 likes this.
  7. I-Am-The-Slime

I-Am-The-Slime

Jan 8, 2010
    SW VA
    Hmm, maybe the cable is a dud... Have you replaced the battery? I hear Amazon's return policy is pretty good :D Paypal will do

8. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Gorgeous kit! Just some quick questions. How thick is the neck around fret 1? Is it C-shape or more like D-shape? Thing is I'm looking at this for a project bass and neck profile is somewhat critical. Thanks so much for your help and be sure to post photos and sound samples once you're done ;-)

9. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    IMAG1268.jpg
    Andruca, I know for a fact that it's 1 3/4" in width at nut (on actual neck). Here's the outline I'm try to achieve. The original pic was smaller, so I just kept increasing horizontal/vertical aspects until the pic also matched 1 3/4". Regarding the 'C' or 'D' (and the distance around @ 1st fret), I will get back with you, OK?

mikeyjm2 and andruca like this.
  10. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Wow, that was FAST, thanks man. I could tell from the pictures that string spacing was tight. That SR5 outline is definitely on the right path. I'm not that obsessed with width itself (although I like tight spacing on 5ers) but front to back thickness is way more critical to me as my main bass is indeed a Stingray 5 (20mm thick right next to fret 1, a VERY flat C) therefore I'm a b**ch for thin necks. Wouldn't mind a couple more mm, but a baseball bat neck would definitely make it a no no for me. Once you get your gauge going would you be so kind as to also measure string spacing at the bridge for me? That'd be a hell of a solid. Thanx so much again, you're my hero!

P/S: you might ask why would I need one of these if I already own a Musicman. I want to build one of these and add a reversed P pickup (+ a 3rd. Volume knob or eventually a coil1/series/coil2 mini switch instead of the 2 volume pots for the humbucker) for an ubber versatile backup bass. Been watching the few YouTube sample videos of this kit and they sound great, even all the way down to the low B, sweet!

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  11. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I have to inventory parts and 'dry-fit' soon, anyways... I will PM the measurements to you, when I do.

andruca likes this.
  12. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Sounds like you''ll have a nice project going on, also

andruca likes this.
  13. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Thanks SO MUCH sir! The other alternative I was evaluating was buying a loaded Peavey T40 pickguard (they show up from time to time on eBay, even tho' not cheap) to fit such project with. Who knows, if this plays well enough it'd be a good canvas for anything.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
  14. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Decided to install tuners to check template outline, and am I glad I did. The first pic is a top view, and everything looks OK...

IMAG1285_1.jpg

The next pics are bottom views of the headstock, in which you can see the tuner plates 'peeking' out from under the template (arrows)... a little too small. The angle the pic was taken accentuates the fact that the template is not quite big enough to accommodate Saga's tuner plates.

IMAG1286_1_1.jpg

IMAG1287_1.jpg

Back to the drawing board. It's like my Father always used to tell me, "Son, I'm leaving your Mom..."

15. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Andruca, here are the measurements you asked for...

Height, at fret #1 - 22.225 mm
    Width, at fret #1 - 47.625 mm
    Circumference, at fret #1 - 126 mm

With a comparable neck, you should be able to determine if it's a 'C', or a 'D' style neck. I have 2 Jazz basses, and a Ric, and all have thin 'C' necks, in my opinion. The Saga is pretty close to a 'C', but of course wider to account for the 5th string. Hope this helps!

andruca likes this.
  16. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Thanks a ton man, really helpful, and 22mm is definitely within an acceptable thickness range for me. Thanks again!

17. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I think I've finally settled on a finish... 'Copper Tone Metallic', from Guitar Reranch. Here's an example of it, on a Telecaster... bigDSCN8480.jpg

... and since I'm partial to both this color and Doc Savage (The Man of Bronze), I'm going to try to work this logo onto the bottom curve of the headstock...

Doc_Savage_--_The_Man_of_Bronze_(logo).jpg

18. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Well, I ordered primer, paint, and nitro cellulose lacquer from ReRanch, but may have to postpone actually finishing it until weather is more cooperative. When the order is delivered, I will check the directions on each can as to what my temp/humidity limits are. I would think priming the body and sanding it would be OK, but we'll see.

In the mean time, I fastened the unfinished neck to the body, to get a look-see...

IMAG1301.jpg

IMAG1302.jpg

IMAG1303.jpg

I extended the headstock template out by an 1/8", to disallow the machine plates from hanging over the side. The second pic shows a tight junction between pocket and neck, with the third pic displaying a tapered gap between the two... tapers from 1/16" at top, to a little less at bottom. Maybe a basswood shim, or a really creative over spray in that area... as it turns out, I have some time to think about it.

Duder likes this.
  19. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Purchased basswood project board (4"x24"x1/16"), measuring, cutting, then sanding to fit, in the hope that it fills in side neck pocket on the large horn side, matching the short horn side...

IMAG1319.jpg

... so close.

IMAG1318.jpg

Duder and mikeyjm2 like this.
  20. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

A friend of mine had an OLP Musicman knockoff. I wired up an original type Stingray two band EQ for it. Even with the stock, cheap pickup, it took that bass from a midrangey blah, to a serious, versatile bass.

I built a 5 string knockoff using a light P type body, Eden neck, OLP type bridge and control plate and a $14 MM type pickup that measures about the same as a real MM. I built another 2 band EQ and it became my backup bass. It sounds incredible.

There are DIY sites all over showing how to build the Stingray preamp. I figure each one was around $10 to build. (I also used this preamp in my Steinberger Spirit. In the Spirit, with two soapbars and a blend control, the treble was muted. Figuring it to be an input impedance issue, I added a buffer after the blend with a 2.2 meg input impedance. THAT did the trick. Treble to spare with no added noise.)

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
    William Shafer and Spidey2112 like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021