1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD! $60 Craigslist Score

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by primussucks9126, Nov 5, 2018.

1. I was browsing my local CL, and a Danelectro Rumor bass caught my eye. I love Danelectro basses, and this is a model I've been curious about for a long time.

The seller had it listed for $70, and in his description he wrote that "it's not a very good bass."

I sent a few texts and he said there aren't any specific issues with it, its just a cheap bass. I offered $60, drove over and took it home. It's the Korean made model (apparently there is an inferior chinese made version).

I did a quick setup: truss rod adjustment (which seems to function perfectly) adjusting the action and filing the nut.

The bass plays great! Its not 100% perfect, but it sounds good all over the neck on every string. I'm gonna spend some time working on the frets and shimming the neck pocket so I can get it right where I like it. The bridge works, the tuners are fine and the bass actually sounds like a killer P-bass, not just a cheap knockoff.

After looking at pictures of these basses, I noticed the pole pieces on mine are significantly bigger. I took the pickup cover off, peeled the foam back, and it turns out a previous owner installed a Duncan QP in this thing! The pickup alone costs more than what I paid for the whole bass!

I sanded the pickguard and had my girlfriend paint a little something something on it, capped it off with my purple sparkle Get'm Get'm strap, and I'm ready to rock!

The built in chorus is a cool gimmick, but the output on that channel is super low. I have to see if theres an easy fix, or else I might just remove it (I tried different batteries).

Not sure about future mods for this one. I might, put new pots in it, maybe a stellartone, and maybe a bridge that allows for 17.5 or 18mm spacing. I'll rock it in its current state for a while though.

Just a quick body pic for now:
    20181104_104745.

Also, does anyone have any idea what strings have these blueish silks? They feel like roundwounds but not too rough (can't tell if that's just from built up grime). The silk is only at the headstock end.

20181104_105053. 20181104_104640.

bass4u, G-Z, alanloomis1980 and 5 others like this.
  2. murmur70

murmur70

May 3, 2017
    Indiana
    GHS I think.

3. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    Look a lot like GHS Ground Wounds (called Brite flats). They are round wounds ground smooth on the outside. They've been around for a long time. I used to use them on my short scale Japanese Fender clone. I still use them a lot especially on Fretless because they do not chew the fingerboard. They are slightly brighter than GHS flats which I use on my PJ bass.

murmur70 likes this.
  4. MakoMan

MakoMan

Oct 17, 2011
    Ottawa, Canada
    Nice score. That is a cool looking bass!

5. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Congrats!

6. Cool bass.

Looks like GHS Brite Flats to me.

7. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

looks like everything is coming together on a budget...so far! congratulations on your new instrument! :thumbsup:

8. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    I like it if you like it:woot:

9. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    I have that exact one.
    Super light weight and a decent player.
    How does it sound with the Dnucan pup?
    I think my active channel (the one with chorus) is a little louder.

10. I think the Duncan sounds great. I can't compare it to the stock pickup, but I've played a lot of P basses, and this sounds like a really good one.

My guess is when they installed the Duncan pickup they messed with the wiring for the chorus channel.

It is really light. Ive been gigging with a 15lbish custom Jaguar, so gigs with this thing are gonna be a real treat

Zoobiedood and Jim C like this.