1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD. '62AVRI Precision

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by brettf, May 6, 2010.

1. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

New from the local music store.
    I think i should go get it set up just to make sure everything is working as it should.
    Compared to my '05 am std P the neck is way thinner and wider.
    It made me realize how used to the '05 i actually am.

Once i get more comfortable with the neck I think this will be my main bass.

I wonder if these basses work better with thicker strings since the neck is so wide?

2. azfryguy

azfryguy

Feb 2, 2010
    Queen Creek AZ
    I like IT!!!

3. snapple

snapple

Nov 25, 2003
    Victoria-Vancouver Canada
    Endorsing Artist: PCL Vintage Amps
    Sexy bass mang. I say throw some flatwounds on it!

4. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Great color combo...congrats!

5. mmmmm_funky!

mmmmm_funky!

May 24, 2009
    Ireland
    Lovin the Bob Dylan Poster in the background!!:D

6. Willicious

Willicious Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2008
    Bend, Oregon
    Throw the Jamerson set of LaBella's on it and don't look back!

7. black.rose1402

black.rose1402

Jan 10, 2007
    Congrats for the new bass , it looks great, great pic of dylan with a jazz bass too!!
    Play the hell out of your bass now!

8. Energy

Energy

Jun 20, 2006
    Germany
    I tried various sets on my AV62RI, flats and rounds, several brands. I ended up with Thomastik Jazz Flats, they work best for my taste.

The AV62RI is a great bass. The more you play it, the more you'll love that wide flat neck!

9. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I had mine strung up with all sorts of crap when I had it. I settled for Pyramid Gold flats.

10. im getting more used to it now. Its got a more rounded full tone than my '05. Had to take off the pickup and bridge covers for full playability with my pick though. Im using 45-100 pure nickel fender strings.

11. Extremely nice bass, i have the same neck/tuners on a warmoth body the neck takes awhile to get use to but i perfered it over my american standard which was a 2004 so much to were i sold my american standard.

12. Sand the nitro off the back of the neck and you'll be amazed. Enjoy

13. I think its still too new to do anything like that to it... maybe someday

14. recreate.me

recreate.me

Apr 2, 2010
    Ontario
    That's awesome. Quick question though: what's the difference in the body contours compared to a new precision bass like a MIM or MIA ?

15. D.M.N.

D.M.N. (O)))) Supporting Member

Oct 6, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Shave the nitro? Preposterous! That's one of the things I love about these basses.

16. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Classic beauty, congrats!

17. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I dunno about the newer ones (and I don't really remember my old 62 too well, I only had it for about a year) but my 82 57RI P-bass has exaggerated body contours compared to my 08 American Standard.

18. Do any of you folks intentionally age your white finished basses to look more yellow?

I didn't notice any apparent difference in contours when i switched to the '62. I didn't do a close comparison though.

19. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I don't intentionally age my basses, but I played mine in a bunch of outdoor spring and summer gigs. Not only did my skin get horribly burnt, the bass turned a bit more yellow except where my arm kept rubbing against it. I got the bass used and it wasn't exactly a bright white when I bought it.

On the other hand, I've been playing this one for almost a decade in all sorts of weather and environments and its not that yellow. Its not olympic white but its close (white blonde)

I'm not sure why you'd wanna yellow it. White basses look best under stage lights to begin with.

(Old picture. I took the covers off again and now I have 2 stickers on the bass)

DSCN0081.

20. Smoke 2 packs a day with it around your neck tell you develop cancer.