1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Nbd 63 American vintage precision

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jlee69, Aug 12, 2016.

1. jlee69

jlee69

Dec 1, 2015
    Massachusetts
    I don't normally do this, but I just picked this up used and it is so amazing I can't believe it. My first p and it is light, lazer straight neck, fretwork impeccable and sounds like what I've always wanted to hear. The finish is delicate and chips when you look at it but it plays so well that I could care less what it looks like. Thick chunky neck but very comfortable. I may be scarred for life by the p. 20160812_220240.jpg

Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
    lazycat93, IanA, pacojas and 11 others like this.
  2. Well, I just got a hold of a similar bass as yours jlee....

The fit and finish are superb, the P Bass Tone could not be better, kudos to Fender for such a re-creation of the past!!

jlee1549 and MrRobert like this.
  3. TMARK

TMARK

Jan 10, 2012
    Richmond VA
    I have one. The best P and the only P for me.

MrRobert likes this.
  4. Also have a 63 AVRI. It's one bad ass axe. Throw some Fender flats on it, roll the tone knob down a touch, run it through a tube amp and call it a day.

chaak, Willicious and MrRobert like this.
  5. MrRobert

MrRobert

Jul 7, 2011
    Costa Mesa, CA
    These things are totally underrated. I think people get scared off by the higher price, but if you like vintage features they are miles ahead of the American standards in every possible way. Very close to custom shop quality, if you ask me. Well worth the cost!

TMARK likes this.
  6. See the pics along with the beauty's new family!!!

DSCN1980.JPG DSCN1984.JPG DSCN1986.JPG

Rickenbottom, Tbone76 and woodyng2 like this.
  7. nbsipics

nbsipics Ours' is the only Reality of Consequence Gold Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2016
    And only 2 knobs - a good thing!

8. The simpler the better! When quality is there, no need for extra knobs! Just pure P Bass Tone!

9. TMARK

TMARK

Jan 10, 2012
    Richmond VA
    Yes. I really don't like the American standards. Not that they are bad, but they are modern basses with modern features.

MrRobert likes this.
  10. MrRobert

MrRobert

Jul 7, 2011
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Same here. I've tried to like the standards but they've always left me cold. Old school for me!

TMARK likes this.
  11. If only I could find one in faded sonic blue for an affordable price to go along with my Daphne '64 Jazz...

12. The neck on the AVRI 63 P Bass was a major surprise for me. Actually, so comfortable !!!

MrRobert and TMARK like this.
  13. And it has a timeless beauty!

14. MrRobert

MrRobert

Jul 7, 2011
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Oh yeah, the neck is the best part! To me it's perfect... I want that neck on every bass I own!

15. As I still had the original strings on the beauty ( the original owner told me he never changed the strings ), I just installed fresh Dunlop super Bright Stainless steel, adjusted the action a bit and played along with a few tunes.... That is a monster of a Bass! Finally, I can get that superb P Bass tone I was craving for! Honestly, I had a few Lakland basses before, such as the 44-64 Custom ( Duck Dunn ) and a 44-64 PJ, and thought I could nail close to a P Bass tone, but now, wow, this is what I can easily call the queen of P Bass tone for me!!! The sustain is unbelievable, nothing comparable. The small frets, maybe help, I am not sure, but there is something special with that Bass.

MrRobert and pacojas like this.
  16. IanA

IanA

Jul 31, 2011
    Leicester UK
    That is a stunning bass and a very classy rig

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 12, 2021