1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD '63 Gibson EB0!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by godofthunder59, Jan 13, 2020.

1. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    I have wanted a early EB0 for a long, long time. In high school back around 1974 at the House of Guitars in Irondequoit NY I lusted after a beautiful '62 with the far out of reach price of $400. I was fully under the spell of Jim Lea and Dennis Dunnaway and just beginning my bass journey. I've had many a EB0 and EB3 over the years but never one like the one I dreamed of all those years ago.
    I picked this up on Reverb today and can't wait for it to arrive. It's unbroken and original finish! Missing the tug bar and palm rest, the knobs are also incorrect but I have all the parts to set it straight. Reverb pics for now, Video review to come! image0.jpeg image1.jpeg image6.jpeg image2.jpeg

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Score!

DJ Bebop and TN WOODMAN like this.
  3. Nice! Those are fun little basses. Enjoy it!

DJ Bebop and TN WOODMAN like this.
  4. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    awesome! I saw that one yesterday and took screen shots just cos it's SO cool! even missing parts it's exactly what I want next to a '50s violin EB-O. glad to know who got it (and for a great price!) so we can hear your impressions. those are THE most desired PUs ever IMO, wish someone would replicate them...

5. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    I grabbed it for $1,050 very happy camper!

6. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I hope to replicate such good fortune this year but yours is a real standout for simple mean looks and knowing that this PU can level half a city block is very appealing lol yet as you prove these can be had for way under newer / 'better' EBs, to me this is crazy but I'm all for it! a similar example or violin is all I care about in bassworld, a monkey I need to get off my back, so please enjoy my overt jealousy. looking forward to your review.

the harp unstrung likes this.
  7. blacktocomm

blacktocomm

Feb 19, 2013
    Maryland
    :drool:

8. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

May 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Beautiful bass !

9. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Always loved that SG style body shape, glad you found your Bucket Bass.

10. brocket

brocket

Sep 12, 2017
    Coastal NC
    Wow! Congrats!!

11. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Fantastic condition and a decent price too, Congrats!

12. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Staff Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    Whoa! Great score there, Scott!
    One of these days I'll get an EB3, it wouldn't be for use with my band, I just really like them.

13. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Ooooo! Beautiful condition. And the Bakelite pickup cover and all! Nice score. Put a set of TIs or Pyramid flats on it and plug it into a B-15N to get the full effect.

Congratulations. Play it well. :):thumbsup:

14. 10cc

10cc

Oct 28, 2013
    boobies!
    T its!

15. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    :thumbsup:

16. Congrats on snagging a great deal. I’m interested to hear your thoughts on how it compares to the last EB-0 you demoed. My guess is the sound will have some distinctions of it’s own based on the vintage and how the pickup was wound.

Bass V likes this.
  17. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Had one like it in ‘69/70. They were called used then. :) The pickup cover seemed to make sound clearer than the metal covers. I know I experimented with swapping them.

Bass V likes this.
  18. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Nice one...congrats.

19. Border

Border

Dec 31, 2010
    Spokane, Wa.
    Congratulations on your gorgeous new bass!! I hope it plays as good as it looks, and that you get years of great music from her.