NBD - 70s Fender Musicmaster

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by neo 7, Jul 22, 2017.

1. neo 7

neo 7 The bass player doesn't get a sandwich

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    I've owned a couple of Musicmasters in the past. A Squier vista series that had a stripped truss rod, and an early 70s in daphne blue that I still kick myself for selling.

The GAS for another Musicmaster has been pretty consistent for the last few years, but I already own a Mustang and I couldn't really justify two short scales.

But I'm at a point where I'm really happy with my gear, I'm getting tons of overtime at work, and I'm turning 45 in a few weeks so what the heck? I pulled the trigger on this early 70's in white.

0722171917b.jpg 0722171602.jpg
    Here it is with my Mustang.
    0722171605f.jpg
    The neck feels pretty good but it needs a set up bad. The action is a mile high, and I think the neck needs a shim. Sounds pretty good, like a P-Bass' little brother. I'll take it to my luthier soon and get it set-up. Who knows? Maybe third times a charm.

CC088 and gustophersmob like this.
  2. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Very nice. I bought a '74 back in December 2016. After I finished replacing items and gave it a good set-up, it turned out great. Congrats on Oly. :thumbsup:

Monster Truck likes this.
  3. capnjim

capnjim

Mar 13, 2008
    Best color ever! I love Musicmasters..

Monster Truck likes this.
  4. neo 7

neo 7 The bass player doesn't get a sandwich

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    Ok. I've had this bass a couple weeks now and couldn't get low enough action without fret buzz. Last night I said "what the heck" and performed my first neck shim. It worked like a charm. A real game changer for this bass. Musicmaster may de-throne my Mustang as number 1 short scale. The Musicmaster neck is quite a bit chunkier and weighs about a pound less than my Mustang. Here I am rocking (in the free world) out to some Neil Young. Resized952017080495131332.jpg

Oren Hudson and Bugeyed Earl like this.
  5. Zapple

Zapple

Jan 26, 2017
    5th Dimension
    FWIW, just found a listing for a greenie! LMK if you want the info. Very reasonable price...(I am not the seller nor do I know the seller. Just passing along the 411...)

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021