1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD '73 Precision

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by godofthunder59, Mar 14, 2013.

1. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    I picked this up locally at a independent music store. '73-'74 Precision Ash/sunburst with a maple neck.Dimarzio pup, Badass bridge, no covers, ohsc. Other than that pretty clean. She's a killer player a little on the heavy side. I like her just they way she is. I was shocked when they accepted my offer of $1,000! 73FenderPrecision001. 73FenderPrecision002. 73FenderPrecision003. 73FenderPrecision004. 73FenderPrecision006.

2. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Man that is a beauty! Love it!

3. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    Just gorgeous congrats I love the way those necks age.

4. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Very nice - congrats!!!

- georgestrings

5. loogy1

loogy1

Feb 23, 2013
    richmond, va
    Awesome find looks like the brother to my dads tele

6. Beautiful 'burst!

7. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Classic beauty, congrats!

8. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz

May 26, 2010
    are you sure its a '73-74? THought they were using tort pickguards those years and had a tug bar and not a tumb rest. My ''75-'76 P has a black pickguard and a thumbrest, and was under the impression it was the first years to go with the black pickguard.

My '76 aside from having a rosewood board was identical with a BAII bridge and a Dimarzio pickup. I immedicatiely got rid of both, put a Fender vintage bridge on it and a '62 'Original' pickup and it sounds amazing now.

Nice score!

9. cricman

cricman

Feb 23, 2013
    West of Dallas
    Sweet! That looks like the bass from the high school Jazz Lab band that I played before I built my own Jazz Clone. I loved that thumping beast. Man, I just had a flashback to MacAurthur Park, Send In the Clowns, The Barney Miller Theme, and an arrangement of Blue Rondo A La Turk!

cricman

10. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    I am not totally sure it's a 73-74 I ran the serial and that's what came up. Before I ran it I thought it was a bit later. I haven't had a chance to check out the pots.

11. Turtle71

Turtle71 Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Madison, WI
    Beautiful Bass!

Nice Score!! :bassist:

12. Very nice score. Love that color. Congrats and enjoy your new bass.:)

13. Tom Cat

Tom Cat

Jun 4, 2011
    Nice!!! .... I have a bone stock 75 just like yours and I gotta say it has THE most stable neck I've ever owned, set it - forget it.
    It was used and abused when I got it so I figure if it's survived this long it'll out live me.
    Gave thought to installing a Badass I've had around for a while but the stock bridge sounds just fine.
    Enjoy.

14. NOVAX

NOVAX

Feb 7, 2009
    Kalifornia
    Mid 74 was the switch from tort to black and tugbar to thumbrest. Thats a late 74 early 75 imho

15. +1.

16. the art guy

the art guy Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2008
    Iowa
    Nice one, and good price too! Congrats -

17. NOVAX

NOVAX

Feb 7, 2009
    Kalifornia
    This is my favorite era of Fenders. Sure some dogs and boat anchors but find a good one
    and its joysville. I love a one piece A width maple neck. Enjoy.

18. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Holy Crap!

That kind of took my breath away.

19. MIMike

MIMike

Jan 1, 2013
    West MI
    Nice ash.

20. Petethebassman

Petethebassman

Mar 7, 2008
    Finland
    Nice score at a great price! Makes me wish vintage Fender prices were more like this in Europe, too. Looks great, I love how the neck & headstock finish has aged on this one.