1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD: 75 Fender Precision

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 1stOfficerRiker, Nov 8, 2019.

1. NBD: kinda. I've had it a few months but haven't posted on it yet. I picked this up on a trade, Definitely a keeper with the A neck profile, plays like a dream. Any suggestions welcome on how to mitigate issues with the pickguard splitting at the jack screw. I don't want to modify it unless it's something I can screw on and return to original shape later, as it sits right now it's 100% original other than the strings.

2018-12-22 23.48.29.
    2018-12-22 23.48.51.

2018-12-22 23.48.57.

2018-12-22 23.49.29.

2018-12-22 23.49.40.
    2018-12-22 23.51.10.

Attached Files:

2. creaturegods

creaturegods

Sep 23, 2017
    Mocha finish, black pickguard, maple fretboard, huge '70s headstock logo... You are a player of true class and exquisite taste. Enjoy! It's a beaut.

3. skaine

skaine

Dec 11, 2014
    Awesome!

4. I'd ask the gang over on the Luthier's Corner -
    Luthier's Corner

1stOfficerRiker likes this.
  5. skaine

skaine

Dec 11, 2014
    A 70s era P bass is something that i always have wanted, failing to that, a reissue of MIA 70s era P bass also works. Thats why i had bought Fender SH Signature P couple of years ago. Its almost impossible to find them for sale here in Turkey even i have the money :)

You might want to replace the pickguard until you get the original repaired, in order to prevent additional damage maybe? It seems only a small part of the pickguard holding it together.

6. Gorgeous! :drool:
    And an A neck, that’s my kinda P, enjoy! :)

7. They all seemed to break like that back in the seventies. Take it off, keep it and get a replacement. Another common problem was the output jack acting up due to the lock washer eating through the crappy piece of foil under the controls acting as a ground. The jack would buzz and hum and the player would wiggle it back and forth and often break the pick guard. Pain in the butt. I had a '76, truly a horrible bass. I put an anodized black aluminum guard on it. Problem solved.

1stOfficerRiker likes this.
  8. Pocket4

Pocket4 Supporting Member

Dec 9, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Please, not mocha or root beer, proud walnut. Looks awesome

70spbase and LUCE like this.
  9. I love mocha basses and I wish there were more of them made currently. I also really want a bass with an A neck.

10. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Dec 13, 2013
    On a Hill
    This....not sure how a pro would repair it but i had this 72 Musicmaster bass that the tip was broken off where the screw was located and above that broken in half.

I reinforced the broken part on the back with a piece of credit card (flexible) epoxied to the pickguard.

I just feel like i couldnt take a chance with it breaking further...so replace with another guard until you figure out how to repair the original properly.

70spbase likes this.
  11. Picton

Picton

Aug 16, 2017
    Reading, MA
    Probably as good as anything else. OP, I'd get a new PG and put the old one aside. Other than that, I'd do nothing to that bass. It's my birth year. That retailer logo makes it even better.

instrumentlevel likes this.
  12. skaine

skaine

Dec 11, 2014
    Yes good idea to keep the original away and safe until its repaired. Reinforcing also a good idea.

instrumentlevel likes this.
  13. bobba66

bobba66

May 18, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    Sweet.:woot:

14. five7

five7 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2009
    Denver
    From Bobby's in Denver too cool. Use to go there in the 70's. Beautiful, just beautiful.

15. elgranluis

elgranluis Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2003
    El paso, TX
    I don’t have a pic or my bass in hand right now, but my 78 p has a washer between the screw and the pick Guard.
    It actually looks 100% rock and roll.

onestring and downunder like this.
  16. Low84

Low84 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    I experienced a similar issue with an old P-Bass of mine years ago, except the tip from the pickguard was long gone by the time I acquired the instrument. I contacted the guys at Chandler in Chico, CA and had a new one made = outstanding experience! Yup, there are several companies across the country crafting replacement guards, but I can tell you these guys are total pros.

Chandler Music Pickguard Planet -- Google and ye shall find. I highly recommend.

Whatever you do, hold onto your original pickguard. Keep it somewhere safe. Having it in the case will greatly help with the re-sale if that should ever take place.

Cool bass, man! Those mochas are so dang sweet!

Dabndug likes this.
  17. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    Walnut finish, A-neck, maple board, BIG TV LOGO.. that's my dream-P right there :drool::drool::drool::drool:

18. Ooba Tooba

Ooba Tooba

Apr 30, 2017
    I have read elsewhere once about someone removing a guard off an old guitar and later when he tried to put it back on it had shrunk a bit and the holes wouldn’t line up. If it were my classic instrument and I was going to remove it I would probably remount it on a piece of hardwood. Could be BS but I’d be upset if it happened to me. Beautiful walnut bass!

nixdad likes this.
  19. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi 1stOfficerRiker :)

Maaaaaaaan! :drool::drool::drool:

Happy late NBD!!! :hyper::hyper::hyper:

greetings

Wise(b)ass

20. That dealer sticker is awesome!
    Nice bass. I’ve got a B neck 75 and love it.
    My pick guard is cracked there, too. I put a black nylon washer under the screw there. It’s been like that for yonks and has survived.
    Best wishes!