1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD: 75 Fender Precision

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 1stOfficerRiker, Nov 8, 2019.

1. Chiliwailer

Chiliwailer

May 18, 2013
    London
    That’s the 60’s nitro ones :thumbsup:

JMarkD, ahc and Ooba Tooba like this.
  2. Chiliwailer

Chiliwailer

May 18, 2013
    London
    I’d use a black washer and reinforce the rear of it. A new one would really bug me.

Very cool bass :drool:

3. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    New York
    Looks like an A neck too. Or maybe not.. Either way, it looks awesome! Great color too. Rock.

4. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    New York
    Looks like an A neck too. Or maybe not.. Either way, it looks awesome! Great color too. Congrats! Rock.

5. The split looks like the result of the screw hole being in slightly the wrong position and the screw being over tightened creating enough force to split the guard at this common weak point.
    I would take the guard off, remove very carefully what looks like old glue from previous repair attemps so that the crack can be closed and reglued shut. I would also use tape (I have a thin aluminium tape backed with a 3M adhesive) across the underside to reinforce the joint.
    I would then check that all the holes in the bass align perfectly with the repaired guard. I expect they are all pretty close but when refitting the guard don't fully tighten them (back off a quarter turn from tight) to avoid pinching it to the bass (it's never going to fall off!). I would then check very carefully the alignment of that particular hole in the bass and possibly fill/redrill to ensure it's in EXACTLY the correct position before replacing the screw (remember not to overtighten). As this part of the guard is stressed when the guitar lead is inserted and withdrawn I would check and clean the socket to make sure it isn't too stiff and adjust the sprung contact pressures so you don't have to push/pull too hard on the cable.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
    mikewalker and instrumentlevel like this.
  6. Bottom 4

Bottom 4 Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2018
    New Jersey
    B0CA113E-FEEC-4C9D-9011-1A49D131E2EE.
    Congrats on a great score!

That’s exactly what my P looked like when I bought it ‘77. After 40+ years of giging this is what it looks like today. Still my go to!

Enjoy and rock her!

1stOfficerRiker and REMBO like this.
  7. The strings aren't original? Throw it out, it's worthless, not even "player grade" ;)

Awesome find :)

Picton and REMBO like this.
  8. mikecd1

mikecd1 Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2009
    New England
    Simply irresistible! Congrats on a great bass! I liked the idea of gluing the pickguard and getting the shield to put behind it. Bet this baby has some major thumpity thump-thump-thump! Enjoy!

9. I rec using and angled jack on your cord and putting a washer under the pick guard to spread out the stress of that crack. You could replace to PG so that you can play it w/o the worry but those guards can shrink, so if you remove it, mount it to a piece of plywood to keep it in shape.
    Enjoy your bass- It looks like a lot of fun to play.

10. porterbass

porterbass

Jul 11, 2013
    Chicago
    Congratulations! I've always loved this color scheme. I had a '74 or '75 Fender Telecaster Deluxe in this color scheme my parents bought me new back then. I wish Fender offered this color on more recent basses. Enjoy it...beautiful P and looks in outstanding shape for its age.

Re: the pickguard... Like others have said, I'd buy a replacement to use and set the original aside for now.

11. REMBO

REMBO

Jul 26, 2011
    Connecticut
    Awesome Bass!!

12. What a beauty! I'd carefully remove the pickguard and store it carefully. Get another pickguard to install and use it. If the holes do not line up, either redrill the PG to match the original to accomodate screws or use exhisting holes on new PG, thread into the body with small screws. Yes this adds holes to the body but if it doesnt bother you, there you go. Those holes may be easy to fill if you should want to down the road. Nice Precision!!!! I have a similar '78 in white. (see my avatar to left).

13. pbass2

pbass2

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Wow, that is a beaut!

14. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Nice! Same Walnut color and year as my first P-Bass, only mime had the rosewood fingerboard.

15. dbsfgyd1

dbsfgyd1

Jun 11, 2012
    Richmond , Va
    I played a bass just like this when I was trying out Basses Bach in the mid 70. I bought a Rick, mainly because of that stupid felt pad in the ash tray bridge cover. The owner of the store wouldn’t Let me take it off unless I bought it.

Nice find!

1stOfficerRiker likes this.
  16. NICE!!!

Enjoy in good health.
    s

1stOfficerRiker likes this.
  17. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    Cool score! I used to frequent Bobby's, too.

Echoing the fixes above. Just put a really thin nylon washer under the guard, attached with epoxy or the like.

five7 likes this.
  18. Kevin Colt

Kevin Colt

Feb 9, 2015
    Bokeelia, Fl.
    none
    that's a pretty common problem with the pickguard. some hack overtightened the screw. go to WD music.com, they make replacement pickguards to order. you can get an identical one or a custom one to your liking. you can always stash the original one in your parts bin until you figure out how you want to address it. great bass. great neck.

19. Bibby

Bibby

Aug 24, 2000
    No way would I replace the PG, keep that sweet thing as original as possible! I agree with the washer route. I have seen guys put a washer on top of the pg but under the screw head to spread the pressure over the crack. May not be the most aesthetic fix, but few would notice.

I have a 73 'A' neck P that has seen some things. Sounds amazing and I love that thing despite it being a hot mess!

20. Whitebeard

Whitebeard

Sep 20, 2010
    Very nice. Is it my old eyes or is the neck 1.5" at the nut like a Jazz bass?